SDN??!! What was I thinking??

OMG there is some MAD hate over there for midlevel providers! I joined recently for the important tidbits I could pick up in my journey t becoming an MD. However I spoke about my being an NP and noticing that there was a lot of negativity there about midlevels and the wolves came out for blood. LOL. I guess I will stay a lurker there and take the good information for what its worth and the rest with a grain of salt. Just wanted to say that I find this website and its members to be very respectful for the most part which is much appreciated.

I work with an NP and a PA in our clinic and have a lot of respect for them. They have a wealth of experience “down in the trenches” that we don’t have. Plus, I enjoy just talking to them as people because they are closer to my age and we share some common interests (the NP is also an avid bicyclist); as an OPM resident you end up fitting somewhere between the residents and the junior faculty, so sometimes socially, people don’t know what to do with you.

Welcome to OPM!!

Tara

I’m sure that a lot of that “hate” you may have felt came from the traditional students and allopathic area. I would also figure that it might come more from students than estabished doctors.

Personally, I think that midlevels fill a need that hasn’t been filled by physicians, namely in the primary care areas - family medicine, pediatrics, etc.

Usually when I go to the SDN site, it is to go to the osteopathic threads, particularly the specific school threads that give me an idea of the application procedure.

SDN is a scary site. I can’t even tell if those people are telling the truth about their backgrounds. Or they are just super-intelligent-amazing -competitive-not-so-frien dly people. Not really my type. Okay, I don’t mind the competitive part, just don’t care for mean people.

Thanks!

Believe it or not it came mostly from the nontrad forum of all places. A very scary place indeed…

Yep it’s ok to be smart, competitive, witty etc but the nasty sarcasm is rampant and brutal. I like to play nice…

• tw4sw Said:
Believe it or not it came mostly from the nontrad forum of all places. A very scary place indeed...

Really? Well, I guess ugliness can come from any age. But again...these are students and usually not yet med students, so a lot of misinformation is present.

I, of course, prefer OPM...but when I've read all of the current new postings and I'm wanting to read more about the med school experience, I do go over to SDN. The MCAT forum is pretty good...it's giving me some good suggestions of some study methods.

I am one of the founding members of SDN and have larfely given up on the place. In the early years, SDN & OPM complimented one another. And, Lee Burnett was a phenomenal resource and extremely supportive when OPM was literally a fledgling. But, the clientele base of SDN has vastly diverged from what I sought to work with…or maybe it was me who changed. Anyhow, I do not disparage them. I just recognize that there re differing purposes and needs. That said, I think it has been more than a year since I last logged in over there.

Yes…SDN is very harsh but it is possible to find some relevant, accurate information if you look hard enough. I definitely prefer OPM. I once posted a question in regards to having an MBA and wanting to apply to Osteopathic schools as a 31 year old non-traditional student. I believe there were 6 or seven responses calling me an “old man” and that I would have already been a Doctor if I really wanted to go to Medical school. Oh well, I just wrote them off as being either highly immature or very sheltered…:slight_smile:

• SomeDaySomeWay Said:
Yes...SDN is very harsh but it is possible to find some relevant, accurate information if you look hard enough. I definitely prefer OPM. I once posted a question in regards to having an MBA and wanting to apply to Osteopathic schools as a 31 year old non-traditional student. I believe there were 6 or seven responses calling me an "old man" and that I would have already been a Doctor if I really wanted to go to Medical school. Oh well, I just wrote them off as being either highly immature or very sheltered...:-)

Unfortunately, I think it is the former vs. the latter!

Seems like this whole nurse-to-physician thing is overblown these days. Are there still admissions committees who will haze you and challenge you on why you’re “switching teams”? I thought that kind of attitude pretty much went out 15-20 years ago.

Admissions people aren’t idiots (most of them anyway); they know nursing is a different profession, with different levels of education and responsibility.

op, I think it’s great that you’re interested in medicine. You’re around physicians so you are going in with your eyes open. A friend of mine worked as an RN for 10 years, and now is a surgeon at a Harvard teaching hospital in Boston, and her colleagues were supportive of her efforts every step of the way.

Best of luck to you,

There are many other fields where people get it in their heads that if you did job “A” you were too …fill in the blank (ie. jaded)…to do job “B”. That was the school of thought for the career I am currently in. I ignored the stigma, and someone on the hiring committee was able to see through it all. I love my current job. I have a more well rounded view of my industry and prove those naysayers wrong daily. Now there is a stigma for NP to Dr. Well, that is why one spreads a large net and applies to many schools. There is a school out there with a committee that doesn’t view it that way.

I can’t wait till these SDN are our age. They will see that age is a number. That a person is only stopped by themselves. Be unstoppable.

• Kimberly_h Said:
There are many other fields where people get it in their heads that if you did job "A" you were too ...fill in the blank (ie. jaded)...to do job "B". That was the school of thought for the career I am currently in. I ignored the stigma, and someone on the hiring committee was able to see through it all. I love my current job. I have a more well rounded view of my industry and prove those naysayers wrong daily. Now there is a stigma for NP to Dr. Well, that is why one spreads a large net and applies to many schools. There is a school out there with a committee that doesn't view it that way.

I can't wait till these SDN are our age. They will see that age is a number. That a person is only stopped by themselves. Be unstoppable.

Actually, what is interesting, Kimberly, is that tw4sw said this negativity actually came from the nontrad forum of SDN. To me, that just speaks of insecurity of those posters.

So I guess snippiness at all ages.
  • OldManDave Said:
I am one of the founding members of SDN and have larfely given up on the place. In the early years, SDN & OPM complimented one another. And, Lee Burnett was a phenomenal resource and extremely supportive when OPM was literally a fledgling. But, the clientele base of SDN has vastly diverged from what I sought to work with...or maybe it was me who changed. Anyhow, I do not disparage them. I just recognize that there re differing purposes and needs. That said, I think it has been more than a year since I last logged in over there.

Yes I even emailed him to complain but he just said that the website is geared for student doctors and premeds so that is to be expected basically and that perhaps once I gain acceptance into med school I may come to agree with them on some level.
  • ttraub Said:
Seems like this whole nurse-to-physician thing is overblown these days. Are there still admissions committees who will haze you and challenge you on why you're "switching teams"? I thought that kind of attitude pretty much went out 15-20 years ago.

Admissions people aren't idiots (most of them anyway); they know nursing is a different profession, with different levels of education and responsibility.

op, I think it's great that you're interested in medicine. You're around physicians so you are going in with your eyes open. A friend of mine worked as an RN for 10 years, and now is a surgeon at a Harvard teaching hospital in Boston, and her colleagues were supportive of her efforts every step of the way.

Best of luck to you,

Oh wow that is soooooo encouraging! Thank you...

I just take SDN with a grain of salt…I just avoid posts that look like they are just trying to cause trouble, and believe me…you can’t tell relatively quick.

SDN will suck the life from you very quickly, avoid if at all possible. Just as we had the sneak attack from the “lawyer” awhile back, their are always folks with too much time and too little class. If these folks truly strive to work in health care, their only response should be “how can I help you?”

SDN - once in a while it’s good for a laugh. Go instead to www.nejm.org and read a medical article, or else study for your exams–much better use of your time.

I find that the pervasive attitude in the medical community is “us” vs. “them”…nurses vs. doctors, DO’s vs MD’s, etc. Seems like these SDN people have been indoctrinated into that mindset. Too bad that people have to feel that they need to put others down in order to “prove” their superiority and, thus, maintain their fragile egos.