Shadowing a must?

So I have been working around docs for twenty five years. The past 4 as I have suspected that I would be trying this pre med path I have worked hard to develop fuller professional bonds.

The past two years I have worked in an ER in order to be closer yet to clinical medicine. The physicians I work with know that I took my tech job as learning process, not an end game. I watch extra procedures (not the glamorous “trauma” stuff, but the I&D’s, ortho stuff, suturing), ask ten extra questions everyday (that sometimes wears them thin BTW ). I try to learn a new lab value, a new med, a new physiological concept every day from them. LOR’s aren’t going to be a problem. We discuss reimbursement, future of medicine, protocols in addition to technical things.

My question - As I shoe horn all the school work, etc into prepping for application, do I really need to also shadow a physician extensively.

How important will additional volunteering be? I’m considering doing some free clinic time or a mission trip.

Thanks much,

Crepitus

• Crepitus Said:
So I have been working around docs for twenty five years. The past 4 as I have suspected that I would be trying this pre med path I have worked hard to develop fuller professional bonds.

The past two years I have worked in an ER in order to be closer yet to clinical medicine. The physicians I work with know that I took my tech job as learning process, not an end game. I watch extra procedures (not the glamorous "trauma" stuff, but the I&D's, ortho stuff, suturing), ask ten extra questions everyday (that sometimes wears them thin BTW ). I try to learn a new lab value, a new med, a new physiological concept every day from them. LOR's aren't going to be a problem. We discuss reimbursement, future of medicine, protocols in addition to technical things.

My question - As I shoe horn all the school work, etc into prepping for application, do I really need to also shadow a physician extensively.

How important will additional volunteering be? I'm considering doing some free clinic time or a mission trip.

Thanks much,

Crepitus

A traditional student needs to show clinical exposure and volunteering service, typically from be a being a volunteering in a hospital.

From your description, you likely have enough clinical exposure not to have to specifically shadowing a doctor (you basically have that being within the ER). If you have volunteering scheduled in a health related area, such as the mission you mentioned, and have other additional non-health related volunteering, you probably have enough.

The best way to think about all this is under the concept that medical school application should be a coherent, concise and compelling narrative showing a pattern of motivation, commitment, and achievement. Each of activities you mentioned above should not only stand on their own in a brief paragraph under extra curricular activities but should build a narrative pattern as I mentioned above.

I agree with Rich

I agree too. Shadowing exposes applicants to the clinical setting who otherwise would not have a good picture of what it is all about. You will be able to address that much more completely with your background.

Kate

I think you’re covered and agree with Rich.

I would still continue with your mission work and other volunteer opportunities you feel passionate about, even if they are not related to medicine.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts . . . Organic Chem started Monday (along with the other ten hours) so I didn’t get back as fast as I wanted.

I appreciate your comments.

Crepitus