So on your advice I'm reading Intern Blues

Hey Rhonda,

I believe you are talking about “Hot Lights, Cold Steel : Life, Death, and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon’s First Years” I read it last week… it was pretty good. I would recommend it.

Yes that’s it! I’m about to start reading it as soon as I finish “Devil Bones” by Kathy Reichs. I’m obsessed with the Kathy Reichs books.

If anyone watches the tv show “Bones” those are the books that the show is based on, Kathy Reichs is the real life Forensic Anthropologist. The books are fictional of course but she based them off her real life cases.

If anyone is interested in military medicine, I highly recommend “On Call in Hell” by CDR. Richard Jadick, D.O., USN. It is a great fast paced read, I devoured it in an afternoon with my daughter asleep in my lap. Some others that are great reads are “When the Air hits the Brain” by Frank Vertosick, M.D. and “A Life in Surgery” a biography of Harvey Cushing, M.D.

I am just in Year 2 of “Hot Lights, Cold Steel”. I am reading rather slowly…but this book is far better than Intern Blues IMHO. I can totally picture myself having some of the same thoughts that Dr. Collins is having in his book, not the “why does anyone want to be a doctor?” thoughts because I haven’t seen any of those from him but the “can’t I get some sleep?” “are you serious my wife (although I’d insert husband) is asking me to do this after I’ve just worked for 36 hours straight?”!!! Also he’s hilarious in describing his Minnesota winter while thinking about the doctor who is lucky enough to be doing his residency in Hawaii!

Next on my list is “Something for the Pain”.

Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon’s First Years by Dr.Michael J.Collins. Great book! If I remember it he did his residency at my old stomping ground…the Mayo Clinic in Rochester…grew up there and my mom and dad both work at Mayo now and I worked on Francis 2C GI and General surgery unit, my first job as an RN. Its still no wonder why I get excited when people pass gas…gas is a good think, esp after surgery…hooray for gas!

Yes, I do need some sleep…Meg

Yes that’s where he did his residency! I love the way he writes, very real and with a touch of humor. Much more delightful than the whiners!