South Florida type upper div courses

Hey guys

I’ve seen a few So Fla people here and I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered the following curriculum dilemma:

Im about to register for my courses for this fall and aside from the basic pre-reqs that I have to take (I think I’ll be taking Orgo I, Phys II, Calc I) I need a few upper div electives. Being in miami there are quite a few tropical, ecological-based classes such as comparative zoology, taxonomy of tropical plants, primate biology, advanced ecology, local flora (really), morphology of vascular plants, advanced phylogenics… you get the idea. These classes are offered in addition to the “regular” Advanced Microbiology, genetics, human anatomy, immunology…

Since they are only electives, I have much more flexibility, but to plant? or not to plant?. Im tempted to take Plant Physiology because honestly, it isnt as hard as say, Biochemistry (those two are both, oddly enough, in the same elective category!)

Okay, so maybe Im taking the easy way out by opting for another plant or everglades class, but I dont want to risk hurting my GPA anymore by taking a killer biochem or immuno class.

Might adcoms realize this? Or will it behoove me to just suck it up and take a class that is MUCH more relevant (and MUCH harder), and take the risk?

Decisions, decisions!

This should be a question of do you like plants or not? If you do, then take the plant courses. If not, take the others. And above all else, make excellent grades.

Good luck in whichever you decide!

• Linda Wilson Said:
This should be a question of do you like plants or not? If you do, then take the plant courses. If not, take the others. And above all else, make excellent grades.

Good luck in whichever you decide!

Totally! But I would think that the biochemistry, though not an easy course, may provide a better foundation when you have to take it in med school...which I've heard could be a real killer.

Getting an A in biochem may go a little further than an A in plant physiology.

I’m honestly not a fan of the plant world (sorry botanists) but I was willing to make the sacrifice in lieu of a better grade. But yes, I was wondering which had more “weight” in a sense. Even if I nailed both of them, I suppose something along the lines of biochem would look a lot better in terms of relevancy. And of course Im sure it would help if/when I get into med school.

Then, It’s settled. I pretty much have my sched mapped out:

Phys II (took the lab)

Orgo II (took the lab)

Calc I

Gen MicroBio and/or Genetics (+lab)

Thanks!!!

At the U of MN things like plant bio and the “lighter” bio/biochem/micro courses are seen as just that “lighter” which makes the attached application “lighter” as well.

The goal is not “squeak” into med school, but “nail” it

That said, your schedule for Fall looks a bit daunting… why so much?

Why not take that UD class during hopeful, “glide” year??

I would take phys, orgo, calc and that is it… the others can wait.

I took a plant biology class in undergrad. My advice to you is to not underestimate the plant world. It was way more complicated then I thought it would be!

• Wiggy Said:
I took a plant biology class in undergrad. My advice to you is to not underestimate the plant world. It was way more complicated then I thought it would be!

Not to mention that some professors are quite fanatical about their pet subjects (plant stuff or otherwise). You might find Dr. Botanist drags a lot of his personal research into a class like that and makes it more difficult than expected.
  • Wiggy Said:

It is not being underestimated, it is the relevance to the study and practice of medicine, in the eyes of those who admit students into medical school.

• jkp2117 Said:
At the U of MN things like plant bio and the "lighter" bio/biochem/micro courses are seen as just that "lighter" which makes the attached application "lighter" as well.

The goal is not "squeak" into med school, but "nail" it

That said, your schedule for Fall looks a bit daunting... why so much?

Why not take that UD class during hopeful, "glide" year??

I would take phys, orgo, calc and that is it... the others can wait.

Yes, I'd love to nail it. My schedule is the way it is because, well, that's all I have left toward my BS in Bio. If we are only looking at the pre-reqs for med school, I already took all but Physics II, Orgo II, Calc 1 and Calc II.

So, with the upper div classes that I have left, plus the ones I just mentioned I dont have too many options. Thats 5 classes in the fall, and 5 classes in the spring. That is a "normal" load.

You're right though, the electives can wait, but 15 semester credits, I should be able to handle. It's not impossible but yes, it's harder. If I have to, I've considered spilling into the summer term a little bit.

Please dont get me wrong, I am not underestimating the plant world. I've taken extremely hard plant classes before and I have nothing against it - It's just not my thing.

In the interest of medical school, it seems that taking a non-plant/insect/tropical class would benefit me in preparation for the MCATS as well as in medical school.

Depending on what schools you are applying to, you might want to strongly consider biochem. More and more schools are starting to add biochem as a “strongly recommended” course or a pre-req for their program. Also, biochem and immuno are both absolutely brutal in med school - any little background that you already have in them will be helpful.

• jkp2117 Said:
At the U of MN things like plant bio and the "lighter" bio/biochem/micro courses are seen as just that "lighter" which makes the attached application "lighter" as well.

I totally agree with JKP...that is a pretty intense load. Believe me, if you take the advanced bio classes during the next semester after you are done with Ochem 2 and Physics 2, you'll be so much better off. You'll still have the class done when you apply next summer. I'd even suggest waiting to also take the calc until the next semester unless math is a real strong class for you.

You know the old addage that says to study for 3 hours for each credit hour...well, if organic is 4 credits (could even be 5), you are looking at about 12-15 hours outside of class, then another 12 for physics, and that is not even including the time you will need for lab assignments/reports. Better to strive for an A in two courses like that, then have to sacrifice and possibly get B's in the others.

If you need to go full time, i.e. credit-wise, take two less intensive classes.
  • putnam2800 Said:
  • jkp2117 Said:

Yes, I'd love to nail it. My schedule is the way it is because, well, that's all I have left toward my BS in Bio. If we are only looking at the pre-reqs for med school, I already took all but Physics II, Orgo II, Calc 1 and Calc II.

So, with the upper div classes that I have left, plus the ones I just mentioned I dont have too many options. Thats 5 classes in the fall, and 5 classes in the spring. That is a "normal" load.

You're right though, the electives can wait, but 15 semester credits, I should be able to handle. It's not impossible but yes, it's harder. If I have to, I've considered spilling into the summer term a little bit.

Please dont get me wrong, I am not underestimating the plant world. I've taken extremely hard plant classes before and I have nothing against it - It's just not my thing.

In the interest of medical school, it seems that taking a non-plant/insect/tropical class would benefit me in preparation for the MCATS as well as in medical school.

But consider that is not the typical 15 credits...since at least the organic and physics have a lab portion, that is like adding 2 more 3 credit classes since each lab is most likely 3 hours...i.e. 6 more hours of class time a week. If it is your last semester, why can't you postpone graduation until the spring?

Yes I heard biochem is a good idea to take…I’m pretty sure it would help me tons. BUT I just checked my curriculum and biochem is in the same elective category as human physiology which I already took…So, I “cant” really take it anymore.

So, its a toss up between cell bio and microbio (which is neck and neck with parasitology, but btwn those two im sure micro is more relevant )

I’m just trying to find a good balance with the options im given. And as jkp2117 said, i certainly dont want to send in a “light application”

As of yet, I’ll admit I actually havent looked up what particular courses are recommended at the schools that I’m considering. I should really do that.

As I’m typing this im looking at my curric and i just noticed that Immuno is also in the same elective category as biochem and physiology. No fair.

• Krisss17 Said:

But consider that is not the typical 15 credits...since at least the organic and physics have a lab portion, that is like adding 2 more 3 credit classes since each lab is most likely 3 hours...i.e. 6 more hours of class time a week. If it is your last semester, why can't you postpone graduation until the spring?

Well, you're right, its not really the "typical" 15 credits... Thing is, i've already completed the lab portion for orgo and physics so that is a little less on my plate at this time.

Actually my last semester (hopefully) is spring 2010. So in the spring I'll expect to take the last few of my electives - and Calc II.

you already took the labs for organo chem 2 and physics 2? Wow! I’m actually taking the two classes directly linked with the labs.

That’s good that you were able to do that. I always thought that you would either need to take the class first if not taking it at the same time.

Did you take the MCAT yet? If not, you might want to consider taking the genetics class…I’ve been hearing there is more genetics on it as of late.

Krisss, well when i was undergrad i did a bit of flip flopping around with my classes…rocky roads to say the least… I took both the lab and lecture concurrently but I was doing poorly in the lectures - I failed physics, and dropped orgo. I stayed in the labs and I wound up with B and B+. Cut to 4 years later, I still have those lectures waiting for me.

No I have not taken the MCATS yet. I’m planning on taking it in April (or May?) - My plan is to take genetics in the spring (mainly because I dont want to take it in the same semester as Orgo II.)

Thankfully genetics is required for my degree so, i’m glad that I’ll “have no choice” but to take it anyways…

• putnam2800 Said:
Krisss, well when i was undergrad i did a bit of flip flopping around with my classes...rocky roads to say the least... I took both the lab and lecture concurrently but I was doing poorly in the lectures - I failed physics, and dropped orgo. I stayed in the labs and I wound up with B and B+. Cut to 4 years later, I still have those lectures waiting for me.

No I have not taken the MCATS yet. I'm planning on taking it in April (or May?) - My plan is to take genetics in the spring (mainly because I dont want to take it in the same semester as Orgo II.)

Oh, that makes sense...and I do know about the ole flipflops!

That's good about the genetics. I'm planning on taking the course but that won't be until next Fall (2010).

Cell bio will be helpful in school. You’re on your own as far as determining whether you can do well in all of that, though. It would probably hurt my little brain.

I’d take cell biology! It will get you started for the MCAT review + a good portion of medical school biochemistry.

Is there any way you can take genetics in the fall and cell biology in the spring?

I just think that genetics will be less work than cell biology. It’s mostly understanding, while cell biology is lots of reading, which might be hard on top of other classes you’re taking.

Just a thought.

• samenewme Said:
Cell bio will be helpful in school. You're on your own as far as determining whether you can do well in all of that, though. It would probably hurt my little brain.

Yea I agree i think it will be especially helpful and I heard from some of my peers that the prof teaching it is great, so thats a plus. True, its only up to me to determine the outcome of my classes - i hope i'll do well!!

Krisss good luck when u take genetics. I'm still trying to calm my nerves, its a daunting course (maybe because my professors accent was thicker than concrete.) I took it and ended up dropping it too. *cringe*