Strongly considering a 2nd bachelors.

I posted a few weeks back in the applying to med school forum about my old GPA giving me pain. I’ve got apps out to two formal post bacs. But as I do the math, I’m starting to think a second bachelor’s degree my be my best answer. Mainly because I need A LOT of credits with good grades to get my GPA competitive, and the schools I picked for post bac are private (Northwestern and Loyola). So I’m starting to consider UIC for a BS in biological sciences, which has a much lower tuition and a respected med school to boot. Not that the presence of a med school would make a difference to an undergrad, but I assume it has an effect on the facilities available. I have the luxury of being able to go full time, so why not, right?

As has been said here before, what’s in the past is in the past. It’s very difficult numerically to make up for bad grades in the past. I figured out one time that it take 8 A’s to make a single F into a moderately acceptable grade. The important thing to do is to do well in the classes now, and the upward trend will likely be noticed. If it’s a few specific bad grades, possibly re-taking those classes and doing well in them will counter the old grades. Most DO schools to this from my understanding.

I actually enjoy school, and I understand the appeal of getting another degree, but the financial expense for relatively little gain keeps me from doing it. If you’re going for a MS, then that’s one thing. You could have 5 BS degrees, and they are still just BS degrees. Others please correct me if I’m wrong.

If I were you, I would do the math on what it would cost to get another degree, figuring in the additional time, and any loss of wages during that time, and see if it makes sense. I don’t think a second degree will matter to a med school as much as good grades on some post bacc work.

Its not so much for me getting another degree as much as it is getting lots of credits to get my gpa up. I know what’s done is done. But what’s done for me right now is that even with a stellar gpa in post bac, I’m still stuck at a 3.0, and I gotta admit that it’s driving me nuts.

• jkdamighty Said:
Its not so much for me getting another degree as much as it is getting lots of credits to get my gpa up. I know what's done is done. But what's done for me right now is that even with a stellar gpa in post bac, I'm still stuck at a 3.0, and I gotta admit that it's driving me nuts.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 10: Beware of FUD -- Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

You will continue to drive yourself nuts with your a laser-like on your overall (and old) GPA. So take a breath and take a moment to understand how your GPA is sliced and diced by the admissions process, how the adcoms will see it, and how you do on your current post-bacc work will matter much more than your old grade baggage.

The GPA on your AMCAS (MD) or AACOMAS (DO)is not what is on your transcript. The GPA is calculated from your inputting those transcripts into the above systems. Not much difference, but read on. That GPA is divided into

Undergraduate (science and non-science

Postbacc (science and non-science)

Above two combined (science and non-science)

Graduate (science and non-science)

Overall (science and non-science)

Overall (single score)

Doing well on a post-bacc, no matter the number of credits, will shine out amongst the other numbers. I agree for students with extremely poor GPA, it is important to go beyond the basic prerequisites with a few to several advanced biology and/or chemistry courses. However, focusing your time and energy on second degree may be overkill, especially if it prevents you from excelling on the MCAT. Many students do not realize that the MCAT is probably weighed as heavy as GPA. For older students with grade baggage a good post-bacc with add'l courses and an excellent MCAT is really the key.

My point to all these facts is don't obsess on the overall old GPA. To do so will just make you a frazzled, neurotic oldpremed.

Oh, it is also important to note why many oldpremeds choose the DO route. Unlike MD, where every grade you ever took, no matter how old and how bad counts in the GPA, the DO application mechanics count the HIGHEST grade of any repeated course. This does allow you to cleanup some old courses, improve GPA, etc.

I feel kinda like that chick in the film “Airplane!” That just freaks out and everyone lines up to slap. For good reason, I am sure.

Also, does anyone know anything about SMPs? UIC has one that guarantees entry to their med school so long as you bring your A-game. Well, B-game, actually. Is this common for an SMP?

• jkdamighty Said:
Also, does anyone know anything about SMPs? UIC has one that guarantees entry to their med school so long as you bring your A-game. Well, B-game, actually. Is this common for an SMP?

Some SMP's are run directly or closely with a medical school. In same you take the same or similar courses to 1st year medical school students in, what amounts to a academic audition year. Doing well in the SMP shows you can do well at the medical school level.

Postbaccs, whether undergrad, masters, SMP's, etc, are not standardized so it is hard to compare or say what is common. Many have linkages to medical schools which can nothing more than certain criteria you'll get an interview to same with near guaranteed seat status.

To add to the discussion, I’m looking at a second bachelor’s degree as a next step to get to med school (mainly, as a DIY post-bac). I need to actually find schools that will let students matriculate into a BS program, as I need to matriculate into a degree program to get financial aid. Does anyone know if there’s a comprehensive list anywhere of schools offering 2nd bachelors? Or am left to what I can learn from word of mouth and google? The process is going as:

(1) Find such school.

(2) See if my MS will disqualify me.

(3) See if already having a BS in bio eliminates me from a 2nd BS in bio.

I’d appreciate if anyone knows where I can just see a comprehensive list of schools that admit students for 2nd bachelors, as it would make the process go much, much faster.

• Fedaykin Said:
To add to the discussion, I'm looking at a second bachelor's degree as a next step to get to med school (mainly, as a DIY post-bac). I need to actually find schools that will let students matriculate into a BS program, as I need to matriculate into a degree program to get financial aid. Does anyone know if there's a comprehensive list anywhere of schools offering 2nd bachelors? Or am left to what I can learn from word of mouth and google? The process is going as:

(1) Find such school.

(2) See if my MS will disqualify me.

(3) See if already having a BS in bio eliminates me from a 2nd BS in bio.

I'd appreciate if anyone knows where I can just see a comprehensive list of schools that admit students for 2nd bachelors, as it would make the process go much, much faster.

Most undergraduate have a policy buried in their student bulletins some place about 2nd degrees. I would think that the majority of schools allow it but most counselors know little about it.

I’m not sure what the deal is, Fedaykin, but I was able to get $12,500 for post-bacc in federal loans. I think that’s the limit.

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
I'm not sure what the deal is, Fedaykin, but I was able to get $12,500 for post-bacc in federal loans. I think that's the limit.

Kate

There is a stipulation in the federal loan program that students taking courses necessary for acceptance into a professional program (law, med, veterinary, etc) can borrow up to $12,500 over a period of 12 consecutive months. This is how I financed my pre-reqs. A lot of financial aid counselors are not aware of this program.

Fedaykin- I’m gonna toss in my 2 cents of geekdom here as a former web developer: the majority of college web sites utilize the google search api, meaning that if you punch “second degree” into the site’s search box, you’ll get led straight to the right info. The reason being that .edu websites get federal subsidies if they adhere to certain accessability standards. Which is why most carribean school websites suck. Bad. Really bad. Geekage broadcast complete.