Summer is almost over.....

What are your plans to enjoy the rest of the time you have without papers, exams, or other deadlines?

Sleep!!! I’ve been taking a condensed Microbiology class this summer…it’s usually taught over an 11 week quarter during the school year but it’s condensed to 4 weeks over the summer(but same material as covered during the school year). I’m in class/lab from 10 to 3…I work from 4 to 11 and I study from 11:30 to 2:00am…(obviously I have no life) To be honest, I probably won’t take another “condensed” course over the summer. The class is very interesting, but I found I’m not retaining much…it’s become a memorize and regurgitate kind of class! Thank goodness fall quarter does not start until mid September!

Work and working on our deck.

Finding an apartment while I tie up my projects so that I can quit my job to go to school

I am going to be preparing for my thesis defense AND getting those secondaries out the door.

1. survive biochem, which is over on Aug 17

2. survive my cousin’s wedding in NYC–we belatedly learned that they “don’t want children” at the wedding, even at the rehearsal dinner at a public restaurant, which is making me crazy.

3. keep writing secondaries and deal with some AACOMAS issues

4. notice my family

5. gear up for my last semester of massage therapy school!!!
  • Relaxing before having to come back to school on August 28th

• making up to my husband last two years of pre-med classes

• getting settled in at the new job

• getting excited about going back home to Poland for 10 days (September 1 - 11) - hopefully the airplanes issues will solve by then - especially that I’m fyling through London

• working on my secondaries

• one more 12-hour shift at the urgent care center before classes start on Monday.

• A realxing day of scuba diving at the local quarry.

• Finish signing up for all of the online course content, and downloading class syllabi (Does anyone do anything on good old-fashioned paper anymore?)

• Help my wife compose and edit a syllabus for one of the classes she will teach this semester.

• Finish the last 2 chapters of "STIFF" by Mary Roach before I have time to read only text books for the next 5 months.

I’m weird, but I’m all giddy getting into being a student again. I run my own business, so I’m setting things up and delegating some responsibilities to my husband to free up time because I’ll be attending classes 5 days a week starting Sept. 6. Working on last-minute tans, as weather and work permit… actually taking the new Chemistry textbook out to the pool and reading up on the first chapters in advance (CopperTone and Stoichiometry – tell me that isn’t geeky!!). Thinking about my “back-to-school” wardrobe and wondering if I should get any tattoos or piercings to fit in with the student body general. My first semester back in decades, and it’s all-science, wheeee.

Oh yes… I am a true Sophomore, in the classical sense.

In the mid-late '80s tatoos and piercings stood out like flashing lights & sirens. In the mid-late '00s the situation hasn’t completely reversed but it seems to be heading that way.

Calculate the air pressure in a standard, sealed bottle of coppertone lotion at .89 atm, 311K, and 10cc of air that started it’s vacation at STP. Now that’s geeky! :wink: (It’s also more likely a gen chem II question)

Tim (Geeking out on my diving trip =)

omg, is this going to be on the test…???

Summer is over for me. I spent all summer studying for the MCAT only to not do well and thus will be postponing the real thing until next year. I did 6 full-length practice tests and spent a lot of time in my car this summer with a long commute. I took my last practice test yesterday and fall semester starts tomorrow: anatomy & physiology (two seperate classes at my university) and their labs and my research and hopefully a part-time job in addition to my consulting project. I wish I had a few days off - or even a week - but oh well. Today was my down time.

I can’t believe summer is almost over - it doesn’t feel like it ever started… I’ve been taking an ultrasound tech class at a vocational school to try to get a clinical job while i finish up my prereqs… so i’ve been doing that all summer. i am selling my condo (closing aug 30), so my house is full of boxes and i’m spending tons of time packing, cleaning, etc… i’m starting an online calc class this week, and my father is coming to visit from out of town, and i’m looking for a new job.

so when does the summer break happen?

Mine is over now. I had med school orientation last week, just had a final fling-date with my beau (not that I’ll never see him again, just that I’ll be busy), and spent the last three hours pre-reading the notes for this week’s upcoming classes. Okay, 2 1/2 hours reading notes and a 30-minute impromptu nap while reading Devo (human development).

I am now altering some scrubs I bought at a rummage sale for a quarter, which I will wear for anatomy lab. You don’t have to wear scrubs, but it is recommended you wear something you plan to throw away at the end of the semester, and for 25 cents and a yard of elastic, I’m set.

I did some dancing, some traveling, and not nearly enough napping this summer to get ready for med school.

• samenewme Said:
Mine is over now. I had med school orientation last week, just had a final fling-date with my beau (not that I'll never see him again, just that I'll be busy), and spent the last three hours pre-reading the notes for this week's upcoming classes. Okay, 2 1/2 hours reading notes and a 30-minute impromptu nap while reading Devo (human development).

I am now altering some scrubs I bought at a rummage sale for a quarter, which I will wear for anatomy lab. You don't have to wear scrubs, but it is recommended you wear something you plan to throw away at the end of the semester, and for 25 cents and a yard of elastic, I'm set.

I did some dancing, some traveling, and not nearly enough napping this summer to get ready for med school.

A BIG smile crept across my face reading your "final post" as a free woman. I fondly, vaguely recall that time for me. Ever since then, life has been hell-bent-for-leather. Of course, I am standing on the downhill side - nearly off of the hill!!!

Best of luck & success to you & everyone else starting med school this fall.

Thanks, Dave, and everyone, for your well wishes. It’s an exciting time. I have to go study now.

Right now, recovering from a cholecystectomy that I had on Tuesday.

Beyond that, being a dork and starting to look over books for classes that start on Monday.

sigh How fun is that??

Rena

Well, I took cell bio and organic I over the summer so this is the end of my first week of actual vacation. So far it has been spent unpacking the many boxes that went untouched after moving last month, and visiting my grandmother in the hospital.

My wife starts an outpatient month on Tuesday, though, and we’re hoping that she’ll have next weekend off so we can at least skip out of town for a couple of days up to Lake Geneva in Wisconsin. During the week I’ll be a big dork and study a bit in advance for microbio and physics, and probably even review my mechanisms for organic II

Crane’s Roost Park is basically across the street from my apartment; it was rennovated after the hurricanes, and I’ve been meaning to check it out, and I never really have. So today, the last day before classes start, I got off my butt and rollerbladed around the whole park - I really enjoyed it.

And I definitely want to give my best wishes to everyone starting school, starting med school, and/or dealing with a personal or family illness.

Does discovering that the spouse is pregnant (potentially with triplets) fall under one of those categories? It isn’t actually a huge surprise. She had an IVF procedure done while she visited her folks in Taiwan. We’ve both just turned 40 this year, so there is some degree of uncertainty about the risks involved. Things seems to be progressing normally so far, though. Just when you think things are getting challenging… they get a little more challenging still.

Tim