Timing of Step 1 and Step 2 (USMLE and COMLEX)

Quick question - I am getting muddled as to when you write step 1 and step 2. If I recall pervious discussions, your step 2 score can influence your match (ie. certain specialties will require a higher step 2 than others).

Thanks

Lynda

In the US, Step 1 is usually taken at the end of 2nd year. Most schools require that you have taken it prior to starting 3rd year rotations.

Step 2 is usually taken sometime during 4th year. You need to have passed Step 2 in order to start residency and obtain a medical license. There are different requirements on it. My school required that you take it no later than Dec 31. Other schools require you take it prior to graduation. Some schools require that you have passed Step 2 in order to graduate, some just that you’ve taken it. To muddy the waters even more, some residency programs require a step 2 score before they will rank you, some state that they “prefer” a step 2 score, others make no mention of it.

Usually, Step 1 is the score that is most looked at when applying to residencies, although (as mentioned above) some residency programs like to see a step 2 score.

Also, there are two Step 2 exams-- Clinical Skills (with standardized patients) and Clinical Knowledge (which is a scored multiple-choice exam). My school requires that you pass both to graduate.

Matt-- I heard a rumor that Step 2 CS was no longer going to be a requirement for US grads. Any truth to that? My class (2006) was the first for it to be required of US grads.

That rumor comes up every year, and is COMPLETELY false. (Take it from me, I’m the school rep to the AAMC for my year.) Step 2 CS a) sucks and b) is here to stay.

Matt-- and it costs a lot of money and is a big money maker!

Yeah, I’m dropping about $2400 on standardized exams this month-- $1100 for Step 2 CS, $400 for Step 2 CK, $700 for my Doctors in Training prep course, $150 for my USMLE World questions. Plus the cost of the trip to Philadelphia for CS. But that’s for my sanity too, I haven’t spent a day out of Buffalo since Christmas break.

• MattFugazi Said:
Yeah, I'm dropping about $2400 on standardized exams this month-- $1100 for Step 2 CS, $400 for Step 2 CK, $700 for my Doctors in Training prep course, $150 for my USMLE World questions. Plus the cost of the trip to Philadelphia for CS. But that's for my sanity too, I haven't spent a day out of Buffalo since Christmas break.

Are you sure you want to go to Philly? It may be worth the expense to take Step2 somewhere else!

(**ducks the incoming anger* from Philly residents and fans. No hard feelings, guys! I just hate on Philly for sports reasons **)

* and batteries

word on the street is that they are working to make 1 exam for all medical students, DO and MD rather than having 2 separate exams that virtually test the same thing.

The only issue is that they need to ensure that no allopathic students get an OMM question

I took Step 2CS in Philly and it wasn’t a bad experience. I thought the standardized patients at my med school were much harder. The ones on the actual test are trained that if you ask the question, they give you a direct answer, rather than the tap dancing like the ones at school did.

Step 2 CS is down the tubes-- CK is on July 22. I’m getting soooo tired. :S

Hang in there

Finished! No more Step 2 CK or CS. Hoooooooray!

Congrats on having them behind you!!

Hey, Matt -

I’m starting serious prep for Step 2 now and would love to know if you felt DIT helped you for Step 2?

Kate

If I have a choice of writing step 1 right after finishing the pre-clinicals/basic sciences or write it after a few clerkship rotations. Which one is a better choice?

Thanks

If you could write it after internal med 1 that would help you immensely with the questions regarding what the next step in the diagnostic workup is (which I scored rather low on). That’s where I thought I gained the most understanding that I’d been a little behind on when I took step 1.

Kate