Took the MCAT today

I just feel so disappointed that so much of the stuff that I spent months studying wasn’t on there and I ended up guessing a lot during P.S.

I was expecting to feel relieved and now I just feel angry and frustrated. My husband keeps saying that now I can relax and I just can’t let it go. We just had our 1st anniversary last weekend and I was too busy doing practice exams that we didn’t do anything. I probably could have taken the exam months ago and done as well as I did today…

I’m with ya, girl! I took it today and felt the same way. Guessed way to much on PS - no time for calculations or figuring things out. You walk out feeling absolutely crushed…

I was so depressed I started researching caribean schools. You are not alone.

Hang in there. You may not have done as bad as you think. Many people come out of there feelng like they got hit by a number of things they hadn’t studied for but it turns out the did better than they thought at the time.

You know, it does make me feel better to know that I’m not the only one! I’ve started looking at August test dates already. I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest test site was almost 3 hours away. I’m due with my son at the end of August and I’m already thinking… hmmm, I wonder if I COULD do this again at 37 weeks pregnant. I think my husband thinks I am insane.

Hmmm, Caribbean schools… sounds nice and warm. Maybe I’ll join you

HA! I only laugh because I totally feel your pain. I took the exam on 5/27. I was so depressed the day after that I did not get out of my pajamas all day. I’m glad I didn’t have a gallon of ice cream to binge on. It was like I had just experienced a breakup.

I have since decided that what is done is done and stressing over it is probably the lease constructive use of my time. SO, I reregistered for the 9/2 exam and enrolled in a Princeton Review Online course. I won’t know my score until 6/29ish and I am honestly praying that the ~$2K that I have spent on reregistering and the review course is wasted money, but if it’s not, I’m ready to attact the test one more time.

Hope you’re not sitting around the house in your PJs like I was I’ll keep you posted on how I did. You are not alone

KT

One of the things that strikes people coming out of the MCAT - many people, if not most - is that they don’t feel like they did well.

Again, it comes back to the nature of the exam. If it were just a science test (that is, content matter), you’d generally walk out of the exam with a sense of how well you did. The MCAT tries to be a test of your interpretive skills, your applied knowledge. Since that’s less declarative, you’ll often feel like you’re guessing, even if you do everything right.

Now, that’s not to say there aren’t things you should know. If you’re guessing on a question where they ask you what the kidney is, you might be in trouble . But take some solace in knowing that you’re not really supposed to feel like you aced the thing, coming out of an exam like that.

Very important to realize what others are saying about the general feeling of nearly everyone leaving the test that they did much worse than they thought they would, and a number of weeks later they learn they were wrong. Hang in there and don’t beat yourself up–if everyone actually did as poorly as they thought (or even most did) the averages would be MUCH lower. :slight_smile:

Wanna hear some great news?? This same dance gets repeated when you take your board exams. WOOHOO!! :-). Take time to celebrate the fact that ulu survived the studying and the exam and that you can’t really know how you did till the scores come back.

Wishing you all much success!!

i do not know of any of the times i took it where i came out feeling like i crushed it…at least not with ps.

hang in there…you may have done better than you think you did.

• katiejay Said:
HA! I only laugh because I totally feel your pain. I took the exam on 5/27. I was so depressed the day after that I did not get out of my pajamas all day. I'm glad I didn't have a gallon of ice cream to binge on. It was like I had just experienced a breakup.

I have since decided that what is done is done and stressing over it is probably the lease constructive use of my time. SO, I reregistered for the 9/2 exam and enrolled in a Princeton Review Online course. I won't know my score until 6/29ish and I am honestly praying that the ~$2K that I have spent on reregistering and the review course is wasted money, but if it's not, I'm ready to attact the test one more time.

Hope you're not sitting around the house in your PJs like I was I'll keep you posted on how I did. You are not alone

KT

Scores just in.

29Q

PS-10

VR-9

BS-10

Because I don't forsee my score going up by much I don't *think* that I will retake (but I still haven't decided). I am not thrilled about my score but definitely feel a lot better than I did walking out.

I am so happy for you. Congratulations!! I would be happy with a 29.

Thanks for letting us know. I’ll post mine too when they come back.

congrats on the score, Here is some food for thought about retakes: Most people do worse on the re-take. Unless you drastically change how you studied.

So, the question is, do you risk it or apply?

29 is not a bad score. Remember that it’s the whole package that counts. If you scored 35 it would help you, but 29 is not going to hurt your!

Congratulations.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice. It is much appreciated.

@dogdays: I’m pulling for you!

I just wanted to say “Thank you” to everyone who gave me encouragement (katiejay- you are awesome, thank you).

Score: 31Q

PS: 9

VR: 10

BS: 12

I submitted my application to AMCAS and AACOMAS already and my transcripts are still being verified. I don’t know how far behind in the application cycle I am but I’m planning to visit Student Doctor Forums to get some ideas about what is required for some of the secondaries.

Wow! Congrats!!!

The schools’ individual web site may actually let you see the secondary application (and essay questions) for some schools.

I kept an excel spreadsheet with info on each school I applied to - when application went out, when secondary requested, etc. While waiting for application to process, I entered info I could find from each one regarding what letters of recommendation are needed for that school, address to send secondary to, and essay questions (if given). Then tried for a 1-2 week turn around on secondary applications. Would have been faster but had a sick relative I had to go stay with for a bit in there.

Nice work!

congrats to you both!! awesome job taming the beast!!

WOOT WOOT!! Congratulations! I am so glad that things worked out for you. Well, that’s one set of worries behind us. Now on to the secondaries

KT

Great score! Congrats!