Want to take MCAT, haven't taken physics...

Here is my question: What advice might any of you fine OPers have for MCAT preparation, having not started physics yet?

My situation: I started college behind the curve with math, and had to start with pre-algebra. I am two semesters away from graduation (not counting this semester), and have yet to start physics, in fact I am only in calc 1 right now and headed toward a B final grade. I would like to take the MCAT this coming fall, so I can apply to med school for the 2014-15 year. What can I do about physics? Over this summer I am already taking 7 units, doing research, and would like to get a job. Finding a local college for physics seems like it would be stretching me thin, especially with my newborn. Should I try to learn it on my own? Maybe some online classes? If I can score at least a 28 I will be competitive at the schools to which I will apply.

If I wait until I’ve taken physics, I will have to apply for med school for the 2015-16 year, meaning I will need to find something to do for an entire year, and a general biology degree doesn’t go very far.

Advice and criticisms are always appreciated.

Justin

Justin -

The problem is “I want to take MCAT this coming fall”. Taking MCAT in the fall is NOT good timing. It will take 6-8 weeks for your score to get to your application which will put you VERY late in being considered for admission at the schools you are applying to. One of the best rules for success is “apply early”. Truthfully, my advice would be to take physics this fall and spring semester, and take MCAT next spring, for the 2015-2016 year. Don’t have much advice for what to do for a job in the meantime. Sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear

Kate

See Syr_eng2med’s post: http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

I do have one acceptance (and at the school that matters most to me), but I honestly believe that my slightly later app PLUS the schools’ wait for my “pending MCAT score” put me at a significant disadvantage at most of the other schools I applied to, even given the overall quality of my application.

Even if you get a pretty good (32-37 MCAT, 3.8+ GPA), if the schools don’t seriously look at your MCAT till your score is in, you are waaay behind the game. The price of an application is not a small sum to toss at a so-so chance. Waiting a year, though it feels like a delay, may set you up for the best possibility of getting in with only one application cycle.

Maybe I’m mistaken and if so, OP should clarify, but I think he’s talking about Fall 2013 MCAT and June 2014 application for 2015 matriculation. How could that be considered “late” in the cycle?

Ah, I read that “2014-2015 admission” as applying fall 2013 for the academic year 2014-2015 admission. Applying in the fall for the next year, which would be late. If he’s not applying till spring for entrance in 2015, then ignore what I said

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
The problem is "I want to take MCAT this coming fall". Taking MCAT in the fall is NOT good timing. It will take 6-8 weeks for your score to get to your application which will put you VERY late in being considered for admission at the schools you are applying to. One of the best rules for success is "apply early". Truthfully, my advice would be to take physics this fall and spring semester, and take MCAT next spring, for the 2015-2016 year. Don't have much advice for what to do for a job in the meantime. Sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear

SLAP! SLAP! Snap our of it!

Rule 1: Take a Breath

I cannot emphasis how strongly not to go down this path as you not only unlikely to be accepted but you will be flag as a reapplicant next cycle.

Here are some of the many reasons that you should not do this:

1) you will be extremely late in the rolling application cycle. Your app will be getting first submitted to the schools while others may already be getting interview invitations. Later in the cycle less seats are available and chances reduced.

2) You will be applying without knowing your MCAT score, which I believe is a bad idea. what if you bomb it?

3) You need physics to successfully compete on the MCATS.

4) You will have a full course load that summer AND trying to prep for the MCATs AND trying to learn physics all at once. That is a recipe for doing bad at all of them and thus reducing grades/score and chances for this cycle as well as the next.

5) It will cost you time, money and resources that are likely to be wasted and just paid again next cycle.

6) Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

7) several of my advisees this cycle are the ones I tried to convince late last cycle not to apply

Bottom Line: dont do it.

Spend the extra year taking physics, prepping hard for the MCAT, maybe take an extra upper level course, work in a lab, add to clinical, do more volunteering. Make yourself the strongest candidate possible on your first application.

• Dullhead Said:
Maybe I'm mistaken and if so, OP should clarify, but I think he's talking about Fall 2013 MCAT and June 2014 application for 2015 matriculation.

This is correct.

Well it seems the majority opinion is obvious...interestingly, on the way to the library to check any responses to my post, I ran into a professor and had a conversation that favored what all have said here. Apparently, a local private medical school has been in contact with said professor just this week, and the professor's interpretation of their conversation is that average MCAT scores (not mean scores, and this very well could be a blip and not a trend) have gone up by 2-3 points within the last year alone. Because of this, apparently a handful of really bright students have been turned away by the admissions department for scores in the mid 20s. Now, those same students may very well get into a DO school with lower average accepted scores, but I understand that is not something one should plan on.

Also interestingly, one thing I have been worried about it is what I would do for money during my time between graduating and applying to med school. Part of my conversation this morning involved talking about working as a A/P lab TA; the school is growing tremendously and something like 15 lab sections need to be covered by TAs this year alone, with growth projected to continue.

So those two points addressed the two chief concerns I have had about taking the MCAT this cycle, ie, before completing semester 1 of physics.

As always, thank you for helping a fellow future old med student.

I took physics I and II a few years ago, received “A” in both and the labs. And now that I have started to review… well, begin to study for the MCAT I realize that I have a great deal of relearning to do in order to do well on the physics portion of the MCAT. From what I have heard from my pre-med advisor a stellar MCAT score is just as important if not more so than a great GPA. I would not risk having a poor MCAT score on your record. Let’s say you take the MCAT w/o physics and do well in all the areas except for physics, and you now have a score that really isnt competitive. I wouldn’t risk it.

People have made very good and helpful comments to this thread. Do NOT take the MCAT until you are fully prepared, even if it means waiting another year. Don’t sabotage your MCAT performance by taking it without knowing physics well. When you are ready to take the MCAT, don’t take it in the fall unless you’re planning to wait and apply to med school in the next cycle. As others have wisely pointed out, timing counts for a lot in the med school admissions process. If you wait to take the MCAT until the fall and are applying in that current cycle, you’re way behind; other applicants will have priority. Based on what you’ve written, I would suggest taking physics in the fall and spring of the next academic year (sounds like you’re too busy to take it this summer), and then take the MCAT in spring of 2014. Then submit your application in June for enrollment in med school in the fall of 2015. Never rush an application. After all of your hard work, you want to maximize your chance of admission! Taking the MCAT when you’re ready and submitting an application early are essential.

Rule 7: The MCAT is your friend

and don’t piss off your friends by rushing them when your not ready

• gonnif Said:
Rule 7: The MCAT is your friend

and don't piss off your friends by rushing them when your not ready

What he said!

I like your answer gonnif. I can relate.