What schools to apply to?

I need some guidance from the wise out there who have traveled this path before me. What are some of the schools my scores would be competitive at?

I am primarily looking at allopathic schools.

Here are my stats:

GPA: ~3.8 (all undergrad work recently done, in biological sciences major)

MCAT 28P

EC: 1.5 years research in pathology lab, with 1 publication. 100 hours shadowing doctor, previously employed at assisted living facility as caregiver and medication manager, metabolic biochem TA for a year, 33 year old caucasian, with one beautiful daughter and one beautiful wife. Also we are on a limited budget and don’t want to throw money down the drain.

Thanks in advance.

• sbr0314 Said:
I need some guidance from the wise out there who have traveled this path before me. What are some of the schools my scores would be competitive at?

I am primarily looking at allopathic schools.

Here are my stats:

GPA: ~3.8 (all undergrad work recently done, in biological sciences major)

MCAT 28P

EC: 1.5 years research in pathology lab, with 1 publication. 100 hours shadowing doctor, previously employed at assisted living facility as caregiver and medication manager, metabolic biochem TA for a year, 33 year old caucasian, with one beautiful daughter and one beautiful wife. Also we are on a limited budget and don't want to throw money down the drain.

Thanks in advance.

You sound like a competitive candidate overall perhaps with a tad low MCAT, but not much. My suggestion is, as Judy says, apply to all your state schools and then figure based on location, environment, and competitiveness, where and you wife want to be: What state and city? Urban or rural? area of medicine interested, match stats perhaps.

you can find out mean MCAT scores at schools from

AAMC's Medical School Admissions Requirements (which you can find for a few bucks cheaper on Amazon)

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msa r.htm

AACOM Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (which available as a free download)

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/c ib/Pages...

I thought AAMC had the MCAT data free online but can't seem to find it.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantm atriculan...

So, unfortunately, I am a CA resident. So for my state schools my mcat is on the low side. My wife has four children from a previous marriage who live in Massachusetts, so we would like to be closer to them. I am also originally from Maryland and Virginia. Do you think I may be considered a little harder with these facts? I guess this question is moot as I will be applying to them and all of the ones i’m competitive at anyway. It just is relieving to be able to talk about it. Go away stress. Go away.

well then perhaps you should consider delaying your application a year and move to one of the other states you mentioned to get residency. California is the most competitive state, I believe.

Those grades and MCAT Score would be ok at EVMS in Norfolk, I think. Also, VCOM is a possibility. THere is a new med school with Carillion Health Systems in Roanoke area that has a strong research emphasis …don’t remember what it’s called.

Kate

We really cannot move right now. I still have a few classes I need to take to finish my B.S. degree next year. I am definitely going to apply to EVMS, Virginia Commonwealth, and about 25 others at least.

I have an interesting story that I hope will give me a boost over all the youngsters I am competing against. Just trying to make the personal statement jump off the page. I think if I can accomplish that, then I will get a good number of interviews, and can hopefully come across as a good addition to medicine during them.

I have never wanted something so much in my life. I can literally taste it.