What's your Fall 09 course load?

I’m starting on my science pre-reqs this fall. I’m taking a pretty light load, only three classes total, two of which are pre-reqs (Pre-Calculus and Physics).

What’s your course load going to be like this Fall?

I have molecular bio, genetics, chem I and Bio I… The bio and chem have expired (1997), so I am retaking them. My advisor seems to think that because I got a’s I can get through the upper division stuff at the same time… I am worried and excited all at the same time.

I was going to do orgo and physics I together but my advisor suggested I hold off on physics and strengthen my math first. So I’m getting tutored in math (got a B in algebra) and doing Genetics, and Orgo I this semester. Due to work and child care issues I can only take two classes at a time and since they both have labs it fills my schedule pretty full.

The sorry thing about me is that I still don’t know…

I couldn’t attend an orientation session this summer due to work, so I couldn’t register for classes yet. Right now, registration is closed (will re-open on August 14) and my orientation is on the 13th.

If all goes as I want it, I’ll be taking Chem I, Physics I, Bio I, and General Psych. I’ll update once I know if this thread is still going…

Mike

I’m taking an upper div microbiolgy, organic chem I and a poli sci class since I never took one as an undergrad with my first degree. Unfortunately I didn’t notice when I registered that the micro lab is on the same day as the orgo one is…back to back. So I’ll have 5.5 hours of lab time on those 2 days a week (plus micro meets for a 3rd lab session on another day). Not normally an issue, but I’ll be 7 months pregnant when fall starts. Way to go ace…lol

Luckily most labs have high set stools so you won’t get too terribly stuck when sitting and can move about easily. I found that to be the case when I took chemistry while pregnant.

Watch out for the lab counters! I worked in a lab while pregnant and was constantly bumping my belly into the bench top, ouch! Turns out my baby was breach, so it was her head that kept hitting the counter!

I am taking BioChem, Anatomy and an upper div. Implant Materials COurse (so my department doesn;t kick me out for not taking any graduate courses!) Total 10 credit hours.

Can I ask where you guys are getting advisement from? Med school counselors or undergrad pre-health? I am a little intimidated to go and see a med school admissions counselor yet! Is that silly??

Organic II

Calc I

Genetics

Genetics Lab

• Comparative Zoology (in lieu of microbio because I have not yet satisfied the pre-reqs for it. I’ll take mirco in the spring.)

*Has absolutely nothing to do with med pre-reqs, I’m taking it to satisfy my electives for my biology major in the spring.

Well I am a taking organic I over. I made a C in the spring. I heard that this was a good idea to retake and bring this up. I am also taking my upper level Ecology (population ecology) and genetics. I am a general biology major. I already have my minor completed. I have a minor in psychology.

I’m registered for:

Tumor Biology

Microbiology

Molecular Physiology

Pharmacology Research

But trust me, I will NOT be taking all those classes while working almost full-time. I’m in the process of deciding what get’s dropped until Spring 2010 and I’m thinking of replacing those last two classes with a Pathology course.

I’m taking biochem and trying to decide between genetics and immunology. I can only take two courses and work full time or I would take all three.

Taking Math and Chemistry. I am terribly excited. Since I went summer quarter I really only have to take 2 courses for the next 6 quarters. However, I wouldn’t mind finishing my Spanish and taking another English class. That will give me a year of Spanish and a year of English along with my Science degree. Much better for transferring to a 4 year.

A lot of people taking genetics in the fall!

I’ll have org 1, genetics, and medical geography. Already excited for the new semester!

• jclark2003 Said:

Can I ask where you guys are getting advisement from? Med school counselors or undergrad pre-health? I am a little intimidated to go and see a med school admissions counselor yet! Is that silly??

I'm seeing my college pre-health advisor. Your college should have something like that as well - most do. It's not silly! I have my first meeting with her on Tuesday and I'm nervous. It's scary because they're the ones who can be totally realistic with you, and sometimes the truth means bad news + hard work! But I'm sure you'll be fine. At least you'll know what path to take for sure (if you at all find all this pre-med stuff confusing - I know I do!).

Chem 221 (Lecture) + Chem 227 (Lab)

Psych 302 (Statistical Methods)

Math 112 (Elem. Functions/Pre-Calc)

and 2 PE classes for fun

= 16 credits

I am just beginning the science req’s as well. I can’t decided whether to major in psych and/or human physiology (my school’s pre-health degree), and I want to minor in spanish for sure. The human physiology major fulfills all the science req’s for med school, plus anatomy and physiology, which would be very helpful. Any suggestions?

Susan - Unfortunately our chem labs don’t have stools in them. I’m taking a chem right now for summer (my 3rd chem class at my university) and have never once seen a stool. The prof I have for summer is also my orgo prof as well so I mentioned something to her. She said she’d see about getting one for me. I’m not sure if micro will have them or not. So far all of my other bio classes have, so fingers are crossed!

JClark - Ouch! That had to hurt! I haven’t done that yet, but I’m noticing how much more difficult it is to wash glassware now. I have to approach the sink sideways now to wash up in summer chem lab! haha Anyway, to answer your question I’m pretty much my own advisor. The biology department has a faculty member designated as the pre-med advisor but I rarely ask her for advice. I’m pretty much going by research into what classes are required/beneficial on my own.

I will be taking

Pol Sci 1

History

College Alg

• nnylacire Said:
Susan - Unfortunately our chem labs don't have stools in them. I'm taking a chem right now for summer (my 3rd chem class at my university) and have never once seen a stool. The prof I have for summer is also my orgo prof as well so I mentioned something to her. She said she'd see about getting one for me. I'm not sure if micro will have them or not. So far all of my other bio classes have, so fingers are crossed!

JClark - Ouch! That had to hurt! I haven't done that yet, but I'm noticing how much more difficult it is to wash glassware now. I have to approach the sink sideways now to wash up in summer chem lab! haha Anyway, to answer your question I'm pretty much my own advisor. The biology department has a faculty member designated as the pre-med advisor but I rarely ask her for advice. I'm pretty much going by research into what classes are required/beneficial on my own.

If she can't find one (or he) see if you can bring your own in and leave it in the prep room.

We were always told once in the room no leaving until the experiment is done. I always grabbed my prof to watch my experiment because that time slot I was notorious for bottoming out. I had GD and would turn the glucometer around and say "I'm going for a snack now" and walk out to munch on a protein bar I had stashed in my pocket (no eating in the lab of course).

Good luck! I don't remember sinks being an issue, but we had lower sinks in that class. I can imagine some of my other classes would be more difficult.

I’m going to take Physics I with lab, Cell Bio, English and Spanish =)

I’m glad you did that, I personally don’t advise taking Orgo with Physics…