Working while premed

First of all, I love this forum and am thankful for it! I am 36 and premed.

I am going to have to work while going to school and really want that time, energy and experience to be in the medical field. I am starting as a CNA and planning on taking a PCT course which will cost me a semester (in time). I am taking the PCT course thinking it will put me in a better position for learning skills and employment as I pursue Med School (am I right here?).

I have also considered an RN program but have been advised against it because of it really taking me off course as far as Med School is concerned (do you agree?).

All this to say, I really need advice. Of course, I would love to be able to devote 100% to school, however, in these economic times, I cannot. So…what is the best route to Med School while working along the way in the Med field?

Any input would be sooooo appreciated.

Thanks!!

It seems like we are in the same boat. I am 29 and will be starting pre-med classes Jan 5 @University of South Florida. I also have to work. I just got my CNA. I also thought about going RN but since i am Non-tra to me that is almost a waste of time. What is PCT?

Hello! Great to hear from someone!

PCT is Patient Care Technician. It takes a full semester to finish which is significantly longer than CNA but you are able to do more such as draw blood, administer catheters, etc. I expect the extra schooling and clinical experience to help me secure better work while I am going to school.

I would love to get a job in the health field, while I work through my courses. However all that is around here is retail without certification of some sort. At this point I’d do housekeeping in a nursing home to be able to have any sort of contact w/ patients. Actually job hunting this week since I can’t keep surviving off of student loans.

OMG!!! Just wrote a long blurb to BOOBS and inserted a smiley face…computer froze up and lost it all…argh!!! So here goes again.

I don’t know about your area but here there are several schools that offer a CNA course. Also, some of the hospitals offer training programs.

If I were you I would google CNA programs in your area. Also, go on craigslist.org and look under medical jobs. Here they always have advertisements for free training to get your CNA, CHHA cert if you agree to work at the nursing homes. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

we are all in the same boat LOL - i just finished posting my whole story and situation looking for advice too…

while nursing is not in line with the traditional medical model, the courses one must take to become a nurse are the same as those courses required in pre-med no?

the program I was looking at (at both Rutgers and a community college here, BSN versus AAS) would prepare you to be an RN (the AAS requires bio, chem, org chem, physics, a&p, and math - the BSN the same)… then, since i already have my BA (and MPA, and MSHSA) i would then apply to med schools once the core req are done… and if i don’t get in during the 2010 season, I’d become an RN and get into an MSN program (to be an NP) and in 2011 if I don’t get into medical school, i continue on in the NP program, and in 2012 if I don’t get into medical school, i take my boards and practice somewhere as an NP - continually plugging away at med school till i can get in… hopefully that won’t happen and I will get in on the first try (with 30 applications).

but I don’t think it will hurt to investigate it a little more, see what the core requirements of a nursing program are near you - and work towards that… at least you’d have a solid profession to fall back on if med school doesn’t work out… that is the way i see it.

God, you sound like me…hehe…planning out every possible scenario for the next 12 years!

Yes, the prereqs are pretty much the same. There are a few differences in PreMed but you can just go ahead and take the PreMed courses and, in my case, the nursing program will accept them because they are actually tougher courses than required for the nursing program.

I know for me personally, I will not be happy unless I go the MD route. The thing I wrestle with is the sacrifices that will be required by my family.

my fiance was stunned, but still supportive, to hear it will be about a 10 year journey to become a doctor.

starting out as a full blown, autonomous, doctor at 36 isn’t too shabby (at least I don’t think so)… and yeah, of course the ultimate goal is to get into medical school… but if i were a trapeze artist, i would definately feel more comfortable over a net…

even though i could fall back on my BA, MPA, or MSHSA, i think that the practicality of ADN to MSN (or BSN accelerated, still not sure what to do) would be nice to have… especially since it would supplement my MSHSA and MPA very nicely.

i was also thinking about the national health services corps to fund medical school (in exchange for my soul… er um to practice general medicine in a high-need area). for each year, up to four, that they pay for, they will require one year of your service in a federally designated area… other than that, i am thinking about joining the air force or army - they will gladly pay for it all LOL

but yeah, there are so many things that seem to stand in our way of acheiving this dream… but the payoff is immeasurable… even though it is possible i could struggle with loans for quite sometime (they are already 800 per month for an AA, BA, MPA, and MSHSA) it would be so worth it to know that i can positively impact the health of individuals… i dunno, is this considered masochism??? lol cause that seems to be the situations many of us are getting into with this… albeit, altruistic masochism…

I have had nothing but support from my family, however, I had my own very lucrative company before I decided to get on a path which will truly make me happy not just make me money. Therefore, our lifestyle over the next 10 years or so will be quite different. That is the sacrifice which I have committed to.

I almost started this journey 8 years ago. Those years have flown by and here I am, still wishing I were. So, I am determined that in another 8 years I am not living with regret. I will be 46!! If you will be a mere 36 then go for it! I know it seems OLD but once you get here, especially if you take care of yourself, it really isn’t that old…still alot of life left.

Thank God for this forum which breathes life back into those late bloomers, like myself, and gives us great hope for the future, having seen others go there before us!

• The Truth Said:
while nursing is not in line with the traditional medical model, the courses one must take to become a nurse are the same as those courses required in pre-med no?

Not necessarily. At many schools, the science courses required of nursing majors (RN and BSN alike) are NOT the same as the science courses required of pre-med majors. The courses required for pre-meds are typically the same ones required of a biology or chemistry major. Many schools will allow you to substitute the more rigorous pre-med courses for the nursing requirements, though.

There have been many long discussions on the pluses and minuses of doing med school via the nursing route. One in particular was a pretty good discussion - I'm not sure of how to direct you to that thread, but maybe you can find it with the search feature. My opposition to the RN to MD route for people who don't intend to use the RN unless they don't get into medical school because the shortage for nurses is huge, even though there are waitlists to get into many nursing programs.

At any rate, welcome to OPM and good luck with the process.

I have tried to find the thread you mentioned in the search area to no avail. Do you have any idea what words I might enter to pull it up? It is not coming up using rn or rn to md. Thanks for your help!

Remember… if the numbers are not there (GPA) coming in the front door… “GAME OVER”

Medical schools give NO “extra points” for working 3 jobs.

Sorry for the bluntness

Richard

Richard, you are the man! I just spent the last half hour reading every bit of your blog… truck driver to doctor… simply amazing.

your non-traditional student guide to success is GREAT. I might only be 26 years old, but I feel like an old salt with many tales to tell compared to the 17 and 18 year olds that will be my classmates…

I feel encouraged by your musings and the advice you have to offer… so, do you go by Dr. Sparky, or do you keep it formal?

I have a 4.0 and will maintain that. Everybody makes fun of me and calls me an overachiever, however, you and I both know that is not the case. It is a must, as you said, for med school.

Anyhow, having said that, are you suggesting that it is impossible to work at all? Part time?

My thoughts are…it is doable premed school but possibly not while in med school. I have devoured the information in this forum and following some of the diaries through 4 years of med school indicates that it would be impossible…???

Even now, I dont’t let anything interfere with my studying and GPA.

Thanks for your blunt style! :slight_smile:

• Marsena Said:
I have tried to find the thread you mentioned in the search area to no avail. Do you have any idea what words I might enter to pull it up? It is not coming up using rn or rn to md. Thanks for your help!

Not the specific thread I was referring to, but you might find it helpful:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t...

I'll see if I can keep digging and find the original thread.

Thank you for the kind words!

I love participation in this forum because more people could go to medical school than do for reasons that have nothing to do with their intellect or ability.

It is so straight forward conceptually (note I did not say EASY in any way shape or form). Many of the pitfalls that trip so many are quite obvious when looking in from the outside.

Please check out my “masterpiece”: Richard Rules for Non-trad success

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

The trick to this is getting your head, EGO, family, life and biological clock all under control and synchronized.

The first an most important is that this is a LONG race, I am NINE years in, granted it seems as though the time has flown. This race is a linear from point A to point B, there are NO corners to cut and if you find yourself cutting one then you are not on the race course anymore (and can be disqualified).

Getting in a “hurry” and just going out and enrolling in too many courses or wrong sections willy nilly portends FAILURE

The ego part, one sees it frequently, in that first post, the resume is invariably recited, "I have an BS in computer science and an MBA with a 3.9 GPA, how fast can I get to medical school? The reality is that unless your stuff includes medical school pre-requisites (recently) it probably means NOTHING in the short term other than your cumulative GPA will be good.

YES you WILL have backtrack, how much depends on where you enter some more than others… but if you want in the race (the long linnear one) there are no other options but to start at the beginning (point A).

Another biggie is the free lunch syndrome or the indignant entitlement, in this long linnear race there is NO FREE LUNCH (and NO guarantees or warranty at ANY place along the course and there are HUNDREDS of places to come up short), this goes to the heart of the recurring “debate” regarding community college credits, yeah freshman english or sociology are fine there… Organic Chemistry is generally NOT (there is really no debate except for anecdotal examples here and there; unless circumstances prohibit or make it impossible; do as much as you can a four year school).

If a CC is a mile to the west and a State Research University is a mile to the east you need to prepare for medical school at the four year place. At a minimum the heavy sciences need to be done at “big school” (you can bet your lunch money your competition will, YES competitive admissions means you are competing… you know someone will “win” the race and someone else is going to “lose”; where are figuring to be?)

One needs to patiently sit down, and study the process, the proper courses in the proper order, the proper timing etc, then get a knowlegeable advisor and make out an orderly, flexible stepwise WRITTEN plan. Then and only then do you enroll in courses and of course hang on to your hat! This is a wild and thrilling adventure!

Richard

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Please know it’s appreciated!

OMG!!! You may have just saved my life! I really needed to hear this. I am at a CC now but planned on moving to univ. After reading your post I need to kick it up a notch and get my a$$ moved. I am taking Anatomy (at CC) in the spring, already took Biology for Majors at CC. Am I in trouble already? In the past I have read pros and cons about the CC route ( at least for prereqs)…nothing real clear though. However, you’re right; I am competing and am already at a disadvantage because of my age. Thank you so much for your help!

PS…read all your blog and will use it as a reference book. :slight_smile:

I love your attitude you need that sort of passion! But you need more than that have you had a chance to sit down with a proper “pre-health professions” advisor?

Judging from some of your earlier posts it seems likely you may not be that far into the plan yet? Being a former nurse, I can certify that nursing pre-requisite sciences “Intro to General Chemistry” or one semester “Anatomy & Physiology” (A&P) are NOT applicable to pre-medicine, they are usually one semeter “terminal” or “introductory” courses, the easy way to tell is to look at the course catalog if a particular course is not a pre-requiste for a more advanced level then it is a terminal course)

I encourage you to see an advisor sooner rather than later, sit down and come up with a flexible, organized, step-wise and WRITTEN academic plan. DO NOT make a big mistake and ENROLL in ANYTHING until you do (this is critical)!

I could not be sure, I am too tired to hunt your original sort of “intro post” to check your “resume” but intuitively (I could be wrong) but your degree previously is not a heavy science major is it?

First check Richard Rules http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

My whole point is that EVERYTHING is on the table when it comes to school. Your grades have to be promoted in priority and furthermore MUST excellent and equally important consistent. There are hundreds of things to trip on going through!

I always encourage as little “clutter” outside of academics as you can possibly manage, at two critical times. In the beginning until you get your balance and believe me after being out of school for even five years you WILL be off balance at first. The other time is during your third year, Organic Chemistry is commonly known as “the gatekeeper to medical school” for good reasons, O Chem trips up a bigger proportion of student that Gen Chem and Physics combined PLUS the MCAT is given in the spring and must be prepped for! YOUR FUTURE DEPENDS ON IT If you arrive in your third year an have a load of heavy sciences shoehorned in with it… like you did not do physics in year two let me assure you that you ARE in deep trouble.

Medical school pre-requistes are best taken in a specific order with the starting point based on where you are in with things like math. If you get them fouled up or get requisits out of order and struggle the game is OVER

IF you were to use the traditional pattern (and a pre-med advisor will have this stuff printed off like a checklist) this is ONLY the pre-medicine sciences (required ones in BLUE). There are a host of biological sciences that I highly recommend, they make the first two years of medical school bearable (will mark them in ORANGE) and can be plugged in anywhere you feel like your academic load is light enough.

I have not addressed the general education requirements for whatever degree you are doing. (I will also assume for simplicity you are rusty in math and start out with algebra; you MUST have algebra for Gen Chem and trigonometry for physics, if you want to do well that is)

Year 1

Fall

Algebra

General Biology with a lab

Spring

Biology with a lab (organismal, anatomy or physiology)

Trigonometry

Summer school Calculus (if needed)

Year 2

Fall

General Chemistry I with lab

Physics I with lab

Plug in as scheduling allows optional but helpful sciences for medical school (of course with labs if available), Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, Genetics, Nutrition, Anatomy or Physiology)

Spring

General Chemistry II with lab

Physics II with lab

Plug in as scheduling allows optional but helpful sciences for medical school (of course with labs if available), Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, Genetics, Nutrition, Anatomy or Physiology)

Year 3

(keep year three VERY light O Chem and MCAT will form your make or break destiny you MUST DO well or the game is over as far as medicine is concerned)

Fall

Organic Chemistry I with lab

(Register and begin prep for the MCAT)

Spring

Organic Chemistry II with lab

Take the MCAT in May

Year 4

Fall

Apply to medical school

Biochemistry I with lab

(Biochem is not required but WILL save your life as freshman medical student and you WILL be sorry if you don’t)

Spring

Biochemistry II with lab

(Biochem is not required but will save your life as freshman medical student and you WILL be sorry if you don’t)

As to medical school; do not plan for “employment” in medical school (you WILL work your ass off thus the choice of “employment”), places differ but I know at KU “employment” is specifically proscribed and we sign an agreement to that effect. One can obtain special permission from the Dean of Academic and Student Affairs to work like 10 hours a week temporarily.

Thank you so much. I can tell you really care about helping others. I am calling advisors tomorrow for a meeting. :slight_smile: