2010 Interviews Acceptance

Hooray for all of you! Your posts, and stories, bring a smile to my face and remind me that yes, this can be done.

You guys are all inspiring! Congratulations to all of you!

I’m just thrilled to say that I have an interview coming up at rossu! Hoping for the best…

(btw…sorry that this is a duplicate post. I started a different thread before realizing this is where I was supposed to go.)

Just got an interview invite from SGU! Hoping for the best.

Good luck to all of you! Hope to meet those of you who are going to Ross or SGU in Aug 2011.

Just got an interview invite from SGU! Hoping for the best.

Good luck to all of you! Hope to meet those of you who are going to Ross or SGU in Aug 2011.

Good luck!

I just got my first acceptance! To oakland university WB school of medicine!!! I cant stop smiling!

Congratulations!

Well one more! Awesome. Would you mind providing some info regarding your stats and path.

Thx and naturally, congrats!

My academic Path:

Freshman year at not very good state univ, transfer to small liberal arts school with scholarship my sophmore year graduate with BA in zoology 2003, took biology and one semester of gen chem in undergrad. Decided to apply to PT school and took physics and second semester of gen chem at community college the year after graduation. got a graduate degree in PT. Practiced for 3 years and decided to follow my heart and register for ochem at state university with the goal of becoming physician. Finished ochem spring of 2010, took online kaplan seminar for mcat in july. applied to about 12 allopathic schools. Interviewed at 5 schools, accepted at one so far.

Stats:

undergrad gpa: 3.7

post bac work: 3.6 (includeing 2 B- in physics at community college)

science gpa: 3.5

grad school: 3.9

MCAT: 30L

What I learned: pre-reqs at a community college are not a death knell to your application. I had one interviewer ask about the “L” from my MCAT haven’t heard back from that school yet.

Feel free to let me know if you have more specific questions.

I am impressed by the number of interviews given the number of schools you applied to.

Generally, what was your feeling at the school you are now accepted compared to the other interviews. Were you able to tell that the interview went very well or not?

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

• en0920 Said:
My academic Path:

What I learned: pre-reqs at a community college are not a death knell to your application.

I think most of us would agree that CC preqs won't prevent an applicant from getting accepted (I was accepted with CC preqs). The key in my case and likely yours, was solid grades in upper level undergrad/graduate level courses and a solid MCAT score.

Since my original post I have had one more acceptance! I got a letter yesterday from Morehouse school of medicine (I am not a minority but believe in their mission of decreasing the health disparity of poor and minority people and had several volunteer activities that demonstrated this). In response to the question about how I felt about my interviews: there did not seem to be a correlation between how I felt it went and if I got in. I felt great about one of my other interviews and was put on hold right away, I felt bad about one of the interviews and mediocre about the other in terms of the 2 schools i was accepted to. In response to the statement about the number of interviews compared to the number of applications I applied to schools I felt were in my reach and those that were in my state and only 1 or 2 reach schools (neither of which i have been invited to interview at). Let me know if you all have any more questions and good luck. I am having a wonderful week!

Congratulations, and enjoy! Thanks for providing details on your stats.

Well Congrats (again). Thanks a lot for providing the details.

It is very appreciable. Enjoy the fun (I bet you are floating on a cloud of joy!, I know I would…)

Congrats.

Congratulations! Let us know where you decide to go!

Kate

Woo hoo!!! I interviewed at KCUMB-COM on Dec 10th and was totally impressed by the school and the staff. Heard today I was accepted!!! Soooo excited!!!

Lynda

Lynda

Congrats, I am happy for you.

Would you mind giving us some info on your stats. What strengths in your opinion most contributed to your success?

Thank you and enjoy!

Well, in 2008 at 42 I decided to pursue my dream of becoming a physician. I worked for a large telecommunications company as a Director of Marketing. The company as downsizing due to a pending takeover so I managed to get a package on my way out. I went back to university and retook the basics (BIOL, CHEM, PHYS) and then took quite a few advanced level BIOL courses (genetics, development, molecular biol, histology).

My undergrad in Pharmacology and Physiology from 20 years ago started very poorly (1.7 GPA in first year) and ended strongly (3.76 GPA), but my overal GPA was pathetic (2.45 GPA). I thought med school was out of the question, so I did my MBA (~3.6 GPA). My Post Bacc (do it yourself over 2 years)GPA was 3.7.

I wrote my MCAT in July 2010 (31R - 10VR, 10PS, 11BS).

I got my applications in early but had to wait from my MCAT - that was very nerve wracking. I think I was able to present the skills I learned throughout my business career in a positive light and I had done extensive volunteer work over the past 3 years at a local hospice. I also have had a fair bit of experience helping my elderly parents navigate the health care system over the past few years and I incorporated that into my personal statements / secondary applications.

Finally, my Histology professor from Fall of '09 suggested I do my Masters in his lab which is what I am doing now (started right after I wrote my MCAT). I am trying to get everything complete by July as opposed to just leaving without finishing it.

That is a very condensed version but gives you the gist.

I found OPM to be invaluable over the past 3 years and learned alot at the conferences I attended in '09 and '10.

Lynda

Lynda

thanks for all the details. I do appreciate (and I am sure others will). Your story is inspirational.

Again my congratulations and my hat off to you!.

Cheers.