2010 Interviews Acceptance

LJSimpson,

Congratulations! Your Christmas present apparently came 2 days early this year.

congrats to all who have been accepted to medical school. Enjoy your holiday and new years.

Lynda -

Congratulations! That’s great!

Did I meet you at the '09 conference?

Very exciting - I know what a thrill it is to know that you are really going to medical school and be able to start picturing yourself there!

Kate aka Licia

Hi Kate

Thanks! I am quite excited - best Christmas gift ever!!

Yes we did meet at the '09 conference. We sat at the same table the first day. I was quite envious because you were so organized in getting your AACOMAS application in early.

Thanks for keeping your diary going. I enjoy reading about how things are going for you in M1.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Lynda

Thought so, Lynda!

Good to hear from you! I look forward to hearing about your adventures coming up !

Kate

Congats Lynda!

Congrats to everyone who will be starting this fall!

I just got accepted to SGU and Ross. I think I’ll go SGU.

I look forward to comparing M1 notes. It will be busy, but this forum is a great place to find support, and encourage each other along the way.

I’ll “see” you guys on the other side of matriculation!

Congratulations!

mroller

That’s great! Enjoy!

Congrats!! Woohoo!!!

Kate

great!

Woot!! Woot!!

In Response to Kate429s request to update you all on where I decided to go: I think I will attend Morehouse SOM. I have been given a half tuition scholarship which makes this the smartest move financially. This has greatly reduced the stress I was under due to money worries because of the loans I had previously for undergrad and grad school. I have been very pleasantly surprised so far with the results and reception I have had applying to this HBCU. I was told flat out it was a waste of money by several people on SDN. Goes to show that you need to make your own decisions.

en0920

I have been on their website, looks like a nice school to attend. I am not familiar with these schools at all. Do you really need to be afro-amer. to attend? I am just wondering as I did not even know that there such schools as HBCUs. I live in TX a state where there are a lot of hispanics. I shadowed in a public hospital and many don’t even speak English. I wonder why such equivalent schools don’t exist down here and in over heavy Spanish speaking states. Well I am not going to complaint as in TX we have many public schools. But I have been working on my spanish for the past two month hoping to add some good points on my app (I took spanish 20 year ago and I love this language).

Also it seems that the majority of students (I read 70%) primarily match into FM residencies, how does this fit with your plans?

In any event, it seems that you have made a wise move and the money incentive is too great to refuse. So enjoy!

No HBCU stands for historically black college or university it is not exclusively black. However they do give great preference to minorities in general (hispanic, black or native american). Usually about 80% is black at morehouse. THis is because one of their missions is to serve the underserved population and decrease the health disparity. The “the underserved” generally means minorities and those with lower socioeconomic standing and inner city or rural areas without access to healthcare. They have found that minority physicians tend to more often go back serve the communities they have come from which is why they will like choose mostly minority candidates. That being said I grew up in a rural area and verbalized to them my intention of living in a less populated area, I also have several small volunteer experiences with Hispanic populations. I am not considered a minority but apparently my goals of working with the “under served” along with my academic qualifications satisfied the admissions committee. In reference to the 70% primary care statistic last year it was 64% and this includes internal medicine, family practice, OB, Pediatrics, and psyc (I think). I am not positive what area I would like to practice in and I did tell them this at the interview. I also told them that I am interested in infectious disease and geriatrics. Apparently this did not stop them from accepting me. This year out of 47 students 3 matched into anesthesiology and 3 matched into opthomology. I think some others matched in orthopaedic surgery and EM so it appears as though some of their graduates are still matching into very competitive specialties if they chose to pursue these. All in all I hope that what ever my goals are they will be supported but I will update you on this later after I matriculate Way more info than you wanted?

en0920

thanks for all the info. I have a better idea of what these schools are and certainly will not discount them when comes the time for me to apply. I am just learning all these things on this journey. This is very positive.

I am sure you will have an enjoyable ride. You must be all proud and happy. My congratulations to you. Things seem to be starting off really well.

Enjoy, good luck and please do keep us posted on your experience.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the scholarship!! That is awesome - half tuition can be pretty sizeable!

I went to my mom’s over Easter weekend and practiced for my final practical in Osteopathic Principles and Practices on my mom, sister, brother, sister-in-law, and daughter (mostly diagnostic practice but I did some gentle treatment of stuff I found which everyone enjoyed Hope you enjoy osteopathic medical school as much as I am (which is about as much as it is possible to enjoy medical school while trying to keep your head above water, one suspects futilely!)

Back to the books!

Kate

Congratulation,

In my opinion 1/2 tuition scholarship is worth a bunch; consider yourself blessed.