Applications for 2010

OK peeps, lets get this party started!!

https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/

http://aacomas.aacom.org/

Got mine started yesterday!! Woo hoo!

BTW, not sure if this was the case last year or before but Interfolio is now linked in with both applications. Just follow the instructions and your letters can be transmitted electronically.

• DoctorGeo2008 Said:
BTW, not sure if this was the case last year or before but Interfolio is now linked in with both applications. Just follow the instructions and your letters can be transmitted electronically.

Thanks for the tip on interfolio!

Looks liek we're the only ones going for it this year.

I am going for it too!!

The few, the proud, baby. Best of luck to all three of you.

Hi all, kinda new around here - but have found lurking really helpful.

Anyway, I am all about interfolio. My undergrad switched everything to them and it has made getting overseas rec’s so much easier.

My question is about the work/activities section. I can’t get a handle on what a good description is an am having trouble finding examples. Any help?

Thanks!

Gretchen

I’m applying too!! I’m finding that this application is difficult because it is designed for the 98% of those that will us it. Namely, the 22-year olds fresh out of college.

I treated the work/experience section like a resume and put in accomplishment bullets for each activity.

Good luck everyone!

I am applying as well, I have been holding off working on it until I got my MCAT score back, but I realize that I should have been putting more effort forth while waiting for my score. I too have had some problems with the work & experience section, hopefully we can all put our best effort forward and get the school we want!

Just an update that I’ll be applying to the class of 2011. Finally retaking most of the preqs to properly prepare for the MCAT will not be rushed. Good to everyone in this thread!!

• pathdr2b Said:
Just an update that I'll be applying to the class of 2011. Finally retaking most of the preqs to properly prepare for the MCAT will not be rushed. Good to everyone in this thread!!

Nice to know that there will be another OPMer going through the process at the same time. I'll probably be taking my MCAT sometime around March/April '09, finishing my prereqs in '09/'10 and applying first thing when application season opens for '11.
  • pathdr2b Said:
Just an update that I'll be applying to the class of 2011. Finally retaking most of the preqs to properly prepare for the MCAT will not be rushed. Good to everyone in this thread!!

you should be proud of yourself to recognize that you still need a little more time to get your things in order the right way. There is no need to rush. When you are ready, then apply.

I’m applying too. Haven’t finished the application yet…one drawback of being a “lifelong learner” is I have so darn many transcripts to enter courses from! On the bright side, I already took MCAT’s last week - Woohoo!

Kate

Kate, there’s nothing better than the feeling of having a beastly exam behind you.

• gabelerman Said:
you should be proud of yourself to recognize that you still need a little more time to get your things in order the right way. There is no need to rush. When you are ready, then apply.

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

I have the same questions about writing up Work/Activities. Since AMCAS gives you more room to write, I did paragraphs for my work experience. AACOMAS gives you roughly half as much to work with, so I went with kiplinger-style bullets instead.

Are there any OPM members with adcomm experience that can chime in about this? I’d love to get some feedback on mine.

Doug

Unfortunately, my AdCom experience predates the current format and so I can’t speak to it… sorry! There are quite a few folks on here who’ve applied in the past few years who will hopefully wander by in the next few days and comment.

Mary

I recommend a “narrative resume” approach and to keep your AMCAS descriptions to “about” 800 or so characters unless there is good reason for using the full 1325.

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for.

I am a 37 year old nontrad and I am ready to give this process a try! I submitted my primary to AMCAS 6/2. It is still being verified. Don’t know if I should be nervous about that or not. I took the MCAT in March but had some trouble on the science sections so I am retaking in August. I hate to put myself behind in the applications but I hated the thought of waiting another year at my age to apply even less! I am taking Kaplan’s online MCAT course and am just hoping to pull off a semi-respectable score that won’t get me cut right off the bat. I have a good GPA and some solid clinical and research work experience that I hope can compensate.

I am excited and nervous and really have no idea what will happen in the coming year…