Are you lurker?

yes, you… you know the type, really happy to log on, reads the posts, uses the ideas but never posts back. Maybe you think you have nothing to say. There is no straight forward manual to follow for nontrads. We all have ideas, suggestions, experience, what we have tried that work, what didnt work, and any of that should be posted. We all have questions and dont assume it has already been asked, ask away. Maybe it time to look a the question again. If nothing else, post and say Hi I am an old premed. suggest something, be proactive, but dont be a lurker

We won’t bite! I promise!

That’s great --with your picture!

Kate

Hello. My name is subgenre and I’m a lurker.

All: “Hi, subgenre.”

I only lurk because I don’t want to re-ask the same question for the umpteenth time. I do really appreciate all the wonderful responses and thoughtful discussion here. It’s really making me feel hopeful about my future.

Hi there,

So I think I would classify myself as a “lurker” although I have posted once or twice ; )

When I saw this post I thought about it a bit (probably because I am procrastinating instead of studying for my physics final tomorrow)

I imagine some of us lurk because we don’t feel like we have a great story to tell, or we aren’t 100% confident in our post bacc skills.

I know I struggled my first semester and while I am proud of myself for pulling out of that and having a fantastic second semester I am not sure what advice I would give?

My strategy has been to not think too far ahead and concentrate on the road in front of me and the task at hand. Yes I have B’s last semester and I know those aren’t great but this semester I have mostly A’s (Not counting physics…yet)

Anyway its hard to admit you aren’t perfect and that the experience has been humbling. Its much much easier to lurk around and see if anyone else feels that way as well!

With that said, I agree with the comment above, when you do find a great response to a concern you have it can make all the difference!! So maybe I’ll put my brave hat on and try a little harder!

~Ok…back to physics sigh I have surpassed supersaturation at this point and am surprised the formulas are not precipitating out of my ears!

Lurker here…I finally registered on the boards. I start post bacc prereqs this fall. I am insanely excited! A bit about me: I am 35, married, mama of 5 (you read that correctly), a licensed massage therapist, and have a degree in English Literature that I never used.

Although I have been interested in bio and medicine since I was a kid, I had convinced myself that it was not a career option. No one in my family was involved in the medical field in any way, and so I didn’t have a mentor to help to shape those interests. In hindsight, it’s best that my path has unfolded this way: mothering five kids has made me emotionally stronger and “experientially” wiser than any other path I could have chosen.

After undergoing two years of rather rigorous training in pathology and A&P in order to be an LMT here in Ohio (our state has a notoriously challenging licensing process), excelling, and then being frustrated with my limited scope of practice under the law when working with clients, I decided to pursue medicine. There are many more reasons than that, of course. I am excited, daunted, peeing my pants, and I cannot wait to begin. Thanks for having me.

I am LOVING all these new names around here… what a great thread! Thanks for chiming in guys–it’s great to hear from you!

Best of luck on your journey, and I’m so glad you are officially out of the shadows!

Welcome, britlitgal!

One of my classmates in year 2 is a LMT, and our Graduate Teaching Assistant in Osteopathic Principles and Practices is also a LMT. They both excelled in Osteopathic manipulative medicine, and also have done well with the rest of the medical curriculum. Best of luck to you!

Kate

I am very happy to hear that, Kate! And I see that you went to Frontier. I considered midwifery, as well, but there’s no licensing process in Ohio for lay midwives (and I have no desire to be a CNM). Good luck to you, too

Thanks!

Yea, that’s true in many states. A few years ago my home state of Virginia finally passed licensing regulations for CPM’s who had done the national direct-entry midwifery training. A number of the practicing CPM’s had the formal 3 year program in Oregon or at Maternidad de la Luz in New Mexico, I think. The CNM’s helped with the lobbying.

Kate

Hi guys - I’m a lurker no more. Thanks for this forum and the wisdom/reality-checks you all provide. Your posts have been an inspiring and informative part of my decision-making process…

I’ve worked as an oncology social worker with patients on clinical research trials at the National Institutes of Health for the past four years (NIH/NCI is my current gig). Before that, I was a professional figure skater on a very low-budget, small-market ice show tour… prior to that so-called circus career, I worked for another circus, the United States Senate, where I did everything from drafting press releases and writing floor statements on agriculture subsidies to giving marginally-accurate tours of the US Capitol to visiting Nebraskans.

Why pre-med now at age 34? I have several answers, most of which are pretty predictable based on my career path (although career “path” is a generous characterization, it’s been more like career bushwhacking). My post-bac pre-med program starts August 29 [inhales deeply], and I just gave notice to my boss. My seat belt is fastened…

Emily

Make sure that your tray tables are stowed and that your seat backs are in the upright and locked position.

Good luck, Emily! I’m so excited for you!!! (And welcome… really glad to have you around.)

Thanks for the welcome messages… I suppose if I crash and burn, the seat belt and stowed tray tables won’t matter much… I guess I’m hoping for six years of heavy turbulence instead of an abrupt ending… but that’s just my optimism shining through!

Hi everyone,

Like a bunch of others on this forum I have been a “lurker” for several weeks. After reading this last post I felt compelled to step out from the shadows. First, before I get into my introduction, I have to extend a hearty THANK YOU for the creator of this site and also to each and every person who has contributed something. The experiences that come from the long and arduous journey to become a physician are so valuable to those of us who have yet to embark. Please continue to share; you provide so much hope.

A bit about me- I am 36 years old and have been a Detective for 8 years. My goal of becoming a Dr is a closely held secret for a multitude of reasons. Primarily because my passion for this goal isn’t something I can tolerate to be scrutinized by those who do not believe. So, I keep it close and slowly but surly I proceed closer to achieving it one step at a time. I am working on my pre-med requirements as well as my new major in Biology. Switching from Crim-Justice to Biology feels like a breath of fresh air. I have always performed better in the sciences and the subject has always held my interest so needless to say I feel like I’m finally on the path that provides me enjoyment.

Being a detective has provided me with invaluable experiences that I feel can relate to medicine in so many ways. From my experiences dealing with so many different personality types (usually when they are emotional or half crazed) to understanding the realities of life first hand, up close and personal. In an effort to keep this sweet and simple I will stop there-for now!

I guess when I became a police officer I did so with the hope that I would be able to help people in ways that would bring me some personal satisfaction. I gave my all to this job, making Detective in 1.5 years, chasing that elusive satisfaction to only realize after 8 years that I can only satiate my desires by becoming a doctor.

Kate,

You are an inspiration to me. I have wanted to tell you that for weeks! I enjoy your posts a great deal. Thank you.

Weldome DETDR!

You should have a VERY compelling personal statement. If you do well in your premed reqs and MCAT, I’d think a lot of schools would be interested.

One of the things the MCAT purports to test is critical thinking. I’ll bet your detective experience will help out there

Best of luck!

Kate

Oh hey! I just saw this after I posted in response to your post! Thanks so much . Made MY day!

Kate

Im glad added to your day! I look forward to chatting with you and the others. What a great resource this forum is.