be aware life can change very quickly

well almost finished first year ( have 2 more exams that I had to postpone). You may remember that wrote earlier how well everything was going on - was passing all my exams with high Bs , was spending time with my daughter everyday, my wife got pregnant , we moved to the house , bought finally second car - life was just perfect even in med school I was really happy. But my life cannot be good for too long . In the end of April my 24 weeks pregnant wife felt neck pain. I tried to do some OMT but I sent her to one of my docs , 2 days later she developed internal jugular vein thrombosis , and we ended up in maternal fetal medicine . When they did ultrasound , I notice tech writing “ascitis” and my heart just almost broke because even with my limited knowledge I realized we got a problem. Long story short, at first she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage 4 , but more tests and we ended up with gastric cancer stage 4 with multiple metastasis. My life just turned around 180 degrees. Today she finished her first chemo treatment.

Doctors are very pessimistic about the diagnosis but we still have hope ( because she is young and did not have any other problems), so we are trying also alternative medicine approaches.

Now I am trying to study for my last exams but no motivation at all. I am seriously thinking about switching to PA program because I do not think I will be able to sacrifice 6 more years ( 3 school + 3 residency). I have already 2 year old and soon will have another one. My wife is going to have hard time taking care for them ( if she even survives) so I need finished my school faster.

I do not understand why this happened. She complained of vomiting and filling full and tightness in chest but doctors were saying it is due to pregnancy.

I am heart broken. Will probably have to take brake for one year and start preparing for GRE.

It is very painful because we sacrificed so much for me to get into med school and now …

There’s not much to say to this other than I’m so sorry to hear this news.

My prayers go out to you and your family during this very difficult time.

Oh my god…

I can’t even begin to say anything of comfort. I am so sorry you and your family have to go through something like this.

I hope and pray for the best for you guys…

Andrzej,

So sorry to hear this. I will be praying for your family and for your wife’s survival and health.

Licia

“chest fullness and vomiting” Doctors and would be doctors take note!!! When my tumor was diagnosed, I had been dealing with it since January with multiple vague diagnosis and a lot of unnecessary testing. My ONLY symptom was a badly swollen, top to bottom left leg. A simple pelvic ultrasound was the diagnostic tool - the test no-one had thought of. Diagnosed on a Friday in July, was in surgery the following Monday morning. Had suffered for 7 months since first symptom, and once it was removed the tumor was over 6 cm. Another reason I felt so motivated to go to med school. To be the doctor who does not overlook the “complaint” and sluff it off with vague explanations. My heart and prayers go out to you and yours…miracles do happen - I am s/p 4 years and have fully normal blood work and normal tests in every way…hang in there!!!

I am so sorry things turned so sour. I will put you in my prayers. Please believe that your wife will make it. Miracles do happen! Stay strong and optimistic. Doctors dont have the last say, they are only vessels, for God is the giver of life. He will make a way when there seems to be no way.

I am so, so sorry. Praying for you and your family. I won’t say everything happens for a reason because that sentiment has certainly never helped me, but I hope you can find some peace and that your wife can pull through.

There are no words… I am so sorry. Certainly, none of us can tell you what to do here. You and your family will be the ones to know what you need.

Oh, my… Just praying for peace for you and your wife.

Sorry to hear all the trouble your wife is going through.

I will say a prayer for you and yours.

Jeez man. I don’t even know what to say to that. I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. Hang in there. You never know.

My thoughts are with you and your family. I am so sorry to hear of this unfortunate news.

Oh GOD! I am so sorry. I can’t even begin to…

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I’m terribly sorry. Praying for you and your family…

Keep hope! You are in our prayers. Here is a scripture that I find comforting in hard times.

“Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.” D&C 101:16

I am so sorry! Life sometimes is just so unfair. Wish you the strength to care for your family. Praying for you.

This is such terrible news and I am so very sorry… I can’t begin to know what you’re going through, but I would like to share some thoughts from an outside perspective.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you’re trying to figure out how you’re going to be a full-time caretaker, student, and provider for your family, all at the same time. I can imagine the uncertainty is unbearable, but it is a lot of stress to put yourself through to seek solutions for everything right now. Instead, try to slow down and take it one step at a time. Do your best to get the rest of your exams behind you, and then (try to) forget about everything except you and your family. After working so hard and sacrificing so much to get into med school, it’s easy to forget that school (med, PA, or otherwise) will still be there when you’re once again ready for it.

I wish the best for you and family.

Crystal

I am very sorry to read your situation. I myself two days ago had a similar scare that just changes your life in an instant.

I can only imagine how it must feel for you and your family.

I replied here to urge you to use your resources at school. the academic advisors.

Wishing you get through this well and quickly.

-G

Oh God why?

I’m so so sorry andrzej. I agree with GeriAtric, talk to an academic advisor. My prayers are with you and your family. Be strong and courageous.

Thank You everyone for good words. My school is very supportive. I did not realize that they could be so helpful. Together with my wife, we received lots of different kind of support in last weeks from people that we only have known less than a year, and even from strangers.

At the beginning, I was really heartbroken and I was not able to think. Some of my teachers even came to the hospital ( 2 hour drive), and also worked with me about my few finals. I still have two exams to take. They gave me as much time as I need. I really was nicely surprised about all the attitude. One of my teacher spent with me several days just talking and listening - and I think this helped me most.

I never had to rely on anybody’s help and to get it in this time was the most difficult for me, I am just not used to it. However, I do realize that without help I would not be able to go through this experience.

Can you take a year off from school? Sometimes they allow.

I am very sorry for what happened to your wife! Stay strong and support her