Career prior to med school - Just curious

Commodities trader.

catastrophic care physical therapist (SCI/TBI inpatient rehab)… It came up in every interview of course.

six years navy as a corpseman, then school, ten years as a Chiropractor, now back to school again.

Currently working as a principal scientist(innovation and formulations expert) in the chemical industry. Also, worked as a phamacutical and seperations chemist. This Fall 2011, I leave it all behind to become a post bac student!

Last 2 major jobs, plus two passions.

Software engineer/computer administration & delivery driver & warehouse manager Did all 3 jobs simultaneously at one company, a book store chain and book distributor. Interestingly, my former boss at this company went to med school and is now a urologist.

Medical assistant (back and front) & phlebotomist Ongoing, did it part time in the evening while still in the computer industry, and then full time when I quit the computer field, paid my way through undergrad doing this, but now only part time since I travel a lot for my other passions:

Not really a job for I don’t make any money at it (I actually lose money since it costs money to travel to and live in remote places), but I love it too much to stop: Cultural and medical anthropologist. Ongoing 12 years to the present. Currently combine it with health care field work, but originally it was separate from and came after my early medical work. Anthropological fieldwork in rural and inner city U.S. (where I ran free health clinics), Latin America (especially rural Mexico where I do much rural medical volunteer work), South Pacific convinced me of the great need for doctors in remote and rural places with marginalized populations. Rural and international medicine is fast becoming my other passion.

Used to teach general science to high school freshman. I haven’t taught a classroom in over two years now. I still have on the average 1-2 nightmares a month about it.

• datsa Said:
Rural and international medicine is fast becoming my other passion.

A few years back, I read an article in Vanity Fair where a group (not Doctors without Borders, but similar) sent plastic surgeons and gynecologists to perform surgical reconstructions on women who suffered physical damage from being raped by whichever group of soldiers was in the area each day. Inspiring article and one of the things that made me realize medicine is my one true calling.

I was a manager in a Nursing home where I befriended someone that did tissue procurement. Did procurement for a few years and decided I would look into cosmetic surgery. While they are dissimilar in nature, the beauty of the medical field is if you can handle one field, you pretty much can handle another.

Studied drama at NYU and acted for a while, then discovered the highest calling in life is helping others. Became a licensed massage therapist (awesome - have medical western/ eastern healing knowledge plus Autonomy). Planning on opening holistic clinic.

One of the med students in my class is a massage therapist as is his wife. His wife does energy work of various types as well as massage and both have trained in osteopathic manipulative techniques with a DO that he shadowed before starting school. He plans to start a neuromuscular medicine practice post grad.

Kate

One of the med students in my class is a massage therapist as is his wife. His wife does energy work of various types as well as massage and both have trained in osteopathic manipulative techniques with a DO that he shadowed before starting school. He plans to start a neuromuscular medicine practice post grad.

Kate

Thanks for that, Kate :smiley: Because sometimes I feel like I’m the only Lmt who decided to become a dr. Or, more generally, a person into alternative medicine/ holistic healing, pursuing a md.

I hope there are plenty of open-minded ppl in med school because palpable science isn’t the only way to help people! thanks again.

You are not alone, even in MD schools (have had some great classmates who went on to MD med school who were involved in holistic medicine.

Kate

Pricing Analyst in Finance

researcher in structural biology.

High school French teacher - I’m with PP - I still have nightmares even though it’s been months. Three years was all I could take!

Now, temping (originally to find out what I wanted to do with my life) and working part-time as a real estate agent. It’s a terrible economy, but one decent deal a month can replace my whole teaching salary. So far, I’ve only had a couple really small deals spread out. This makes it easy to start school in the spring, too, and still make money. And I can do a deal or two each year in med school for extra money since it takes such little time commitment.

Army Signal Officer

Vice President Internal Audit

Mental health case manager, among a few other things

Architect and nerd!

real estate