Career prior to med school - Just curious

EMT/P then transitioned and became an ER nurse. Emergency Medicine is all I know, LoL! Been in the field for about 8 years now.

Researcher for an IOC R&D bunker. Researcher in Novel Materials–contributed in Biophysics and Medical Applications, Researcher in Nuclear Physics, Medical Physicist, then back to O&G as Adviser in Technology. So in hindsight I have been in research almost all my professional life.

^^ I think we found our resident physics tutor

Sous chef, Muralist, Then middle school Art teacher (with tattoo artist on the side), post bacc in the fall.

Livin’ la vida Broka!

Visual Effects Supervisor (Film, TV shows, commercials and in the past, music videos when there was still enough money to pay people), Visual Effects Producer and Artist. 20 years ago (post college) HIV/AIDS street outreach worker, educator, Harm Reduction worker. Anti-Violence worker working in a counseling organization who served victims of bias (hate) crime & domestic violence.

10 year Navy Corpsman

As a civilian:

-2 years as Lab Tech

-10 years as Research Program Manager

-3 years as “parttime” minister

Retail management right out of college, then stay-at-home/home schooling mom for the last 9+ years. I’m working part-time as a patient care tech now while I work on my pre-reqs.

A lot of things in the past 30 years. Taught horseback riding at the Missouri School for the deaf. Nurse’s aide in a nursing home. Almost 10 years working with the developmentally disabled at all levels of IQ - from total care to sheltered workshop. 6 years doing drug and alcohol counseling in all settings - rehab, halfway house and outpatient. 4 years working with juvenile delinquents in residential care facilities and juvenile detention. 4 years behind the walls at a MAX prison caring for the forensically mentally ill. Medical Social Work with HIV, terminal patients, cardiac patients, the elderly and the ER. 3 years as a Mobile Crisis team clinician. Now going on 3 years running the mental health department in a community health center. Also do private practice on the side. Basically, have been caring for others in one capacity or another my entire adult life…and usually the ones that society shuns or does not wish to care for. At this point, can’t even question that this is a “calling”.

Elementary Spanish and Developmental Kindergarten teacher, 13 years.

Addictions counselling

Airline pilot.

Hey, captain Mark! We had an airline pilot in my post-bacc premed class. She did very well and got accepted to medical school.

Kate

• CaptMark Said:
Airline pilot.

I'm doing it backwards! - Just about done with my private pilot cert!

Pharmacist at CVS, then Air Force pharmacist

HA… that’s so funny, because my husband is a pilot, and his name is Mark. That kind of threw me for a minute!

He has all his certs (including ATP) and is now embarking on a contract pilot position in Afghanistan… he’ll be flying a King Air 200, and is super excited!

Never wanted to go the airline route–loved teaching too much, so he was the flight chief at a school until this opportunity came up.

He taught a LOT of doctors, and one oncologist in particular is the reason that I’m on this journey in the first place. He kicked me out the door and told me I could do it–and he’s actually connected me with several physicians to shadow, etc. Been an incredible mentor.

So because my husband is a pilot/instructor, I got set up to shadow a surgeon every week. Love it! Sometimes life is just funny that way…

Good to know there are a few aviators out here!