Dating Advice for Nontrads?

Good points, Matt. I would tend more towards your point of view. It’s amazing how active this thread has been

I think medical school can be isolating (often relocating, long hours of study). It’s not surprising to want to anticipate some pleasant social activity - as you said, a meal, conversation about something ELSE. The difficulty is finding the time and the other person(s).

Kate

• Kate429 Said:
Good points, Matt. I would tend more towards your point of view. It's amazing how active this thread has been

I think medical school can be isolating (often relocating, long hours of study). It's not surprising to want to anticipate some pleasant social activity - as you said, a meal, conversation about something ELSE. The difficulty is finding the time and the other person(s).

Kate

I see a business opportunity for someone enterprising enough! lol or maybe we should have a forum for it!

Take it in spirit, I am broke as well!

Business with broke students! Are you kidding? Non-profit, maybe! LOL!

spoxjox,

I agree with many of your points. I think what the OP was saying, though, is that the opportunities to meet “a lifetime companion” or “to find someone (1) whom you like, (2) who likes you, and (3) who shares your core values” or even “casual sleeping together” when you’re our age, in general, and in medical school, in particular, are practically non-existent. I’m 10 years older than the oldest female in my class and she’s married! Outside of Hollywood, there are few 40-year old guys able to get 25-year old girlfriends.

Most ladies are married by age 30 (yes I know DJ sweetpea & Kate 429 are the exceptions so far on this thread). For this reason, I agree with the OP who stated that the pool of available ladies at online dating sites does seem to skew towards an age group that puts 35 as their cutoff for datable guys.

Then there’s always the issue of the demands on our time. Someone who is not going through this process is not going to understand why I need to spend my weekend reading about killer B’s (the lymphocyte, not the insect) instead of investing my time in them.

I’ve shadowed my mentor in a hospital a few times and there are nurses, technicians and PAs. But, an ICU is not an appropriate time or place for socializing much less trying to find someone to date and most of those single nurses and PAs are as young as, if not younger than, many of my classmates. The OP had many valid points. Judging from the overwhelming responses, I’d say he struck a hidden nerve.

I have to agree with DJ sweetpea’s post (#72418).

I met my second husband online and since I’d never in my life had problems with dating (looking 10 years younger doesn’t hurt ), I never considered it desperate at all. Just another VERY good way to meet people!

In fact, for people with busy schedules I think online dating is the best thing since sliced bread, LOL!!!

And besides all the other perks to being in a marriage or relationship with someone special you met online, is that there’s nothing in the world better than getting the “good, good,” on the regular, ROTFLMAO!!!

Tic Doc (and ChicBrownie)- Thanks so much for the feedback.Though my IQ is just a hair short of 140, I seriously.doubt I’d make Mensa’s cut. I tried E-Harmony (I could’ve read War and Peace and Remembrances of Things Past in the same amount of time.It was ridiculous!)

…I’m really glad I stumbled across this site…wonderful forum…a lot of bright,positive people.

DJ sweetpea,

At least I have an avatar pic. Where’s yours?

I’ll tell you what, I’ll show you mine if you show me yours (pic that is).

pathdr2b,

That is really great that online dating worked for you.

What advice would you give the OP who’s observed: “I’ve noticed to my chagrin that a lot of women use 35 as a cut-off”?

And I got rejected by e-harmony after an eternity of filling out their questionnaire that felt longer than the MCAT.

The cutoff for Mensa depends on the test taken and the percentile of your results (compared to the rest of the population) rather than the raw score.

http://www.mensafoundation.org/Content/AML/Navigat…

Of course, high IQ is not related to human compassion. I joined the organization, then observed a few comments about the rest of the population. That was my first and last Mensa meeting.

That group was probably not indicative of Mensa as a whole, but I decided to use my time with other pursuits.

Okay, this was just a commercial break from the dating discussion. Now back to the regularly scheduled program!

• TicDocDoh Said:
pathdr2b,

That is really great that online dating worked for you.

What advice would you give the OP who's observed: "I've noticed to my chagrin that a lot of women use 35 as a cut-off"?

That's interesting, the over 35 thing. I tell women in their 20's all the time not to waste their time on men their age, and to go for the ones in their 30's. Of course, they don't listen but they'll learn the hard way.

My advice? Ignore them, look at dating older women, and try online dating.

lol…love how this thread catches fire every time it surfaces!

I was a 37 year old single MS2!

Well, technically I am still single, because I am not married… yet.

I spent much of my first year with the attitude, “Nope, not going to date, I don’t have time, the boys are too young, and do I really want to date a med student anyways?” and etc.

It got old.

I found that online dating helped a lot to cut through the guys who wouldn’t date me because I was either not making money, or one day going to be making more than them. We are in med school, we don’t have time to waste on too many peeps who just won’t work out.

That said, I still probably went on like I’d say 30 or so ‘1st dates’ if that’s what you even call meeting people off the website to see if you click. Eventually though, through dating, and talking and etc, I found one guy I really liked… and wonders of wonders he really dug me as well.

So, I know, you’ve been through this before… you know it’s about finding something that works… thing is, in our age group, it’s most likely going to be outside of school, and I for one am happy about that.

– Edit –

Oh and reading the second page also helps! I’m such a n00bz.

I reaction to eHarmony is blah. I feel cardboard people with too high of expectations use that site… ok, that’s probably not true for everyone, just what I ran across.

I used OkCupid and it was ok, but I had to spend a lot of time sorting through fake people, posers, users, etc.

I had the best response with gk2gk… but then again, I was looking for a gamer d0rk… so it of course would work better for me. If I hadn’t decided I needed to nerd out hard core, OkCupid would have probably worked out better than it had.

Well I’ve gathered enough empirical data points to be able to say that if a gal in Columbus says “…you’re so cute” at any point in a conversation, it is a clear indication she doesn’t want to go further and you’ll be dumped for the first person to come along who catches her eye.

You’re so cute that I’m Ok with you picking the tab and I’ll give you a kiss on the cheek for it but don’t you be getting no ideas mister…you’re cute but you ain’t hot! lol lol lol

I started medical school at 32. I have often found success through friends of friends for dating. There is a national thing called Meetup.com, it lists groups of people that are interested in different topics and you could start to make some friends outside of medical school.

Funny thing sometimes when you stop looking and start enjoying whatever “free time” you have. You start attracting people.

• TicDocDoh Said:
Outside of Hollywood, there are few 40-year old guys able to get 25-year old girlfriends.

DEFINITELY not true. I'm 37 and the girl who just turned 32 who I see off and on is the oldest girl (by at least five years) I've dated in 3 years. I'm also about 40 pounds overweight, divorced with two teenaged kids, work full time, school full time, rarely sleep, balding and hardly "Hollywood attractive". When my hair was longer, I actually got confused for Ron Jeremy a more than couple of times-so Ryan Reynolds, I ain't.

I've been up all night writing a research paper on Othello, but I've got a lot more to say on this subject, so I'll leave you with the single most important dating advice I've ever heard:

"When it comes to attracting women, you only need three things: confidence, confidence, confidence." - Sean Connery
  • NightGod Said:
DEFINITELY not true. I'm 37 and the girl who just turned 32 who I see off and on is the oldest girl (by at least five years) I've dated in 3 years. I'm also about 40 pounds overweight, divorced with two teenaged kids, work full time, school full time, rarely sleep, balding and hardly "Hollywood attractive". When my hair was longer, I actually got confused for Ron Jeremy a more than couple of times-so Ryan Reynolds, I ain't.

I've been up all night writing a research paper on Othello, but I've got a lot more to say on this subject, so I'll leave you with the single most important dating advice I've ever heard:

"When it comes to attracting women, you only need three things: confidence, confidence, confidence." - Sean Connery

This I've gotta hear!

This thread is funny.

I have the distinct impression that the DO school in our town is a dating mecca—even if most of the men are younger than me.

And yet I’ll be at the state school where most of my classmates will be 23 and probably married anyway. Despite the near-horror stories about dating life in med school for a non-trad, I’m optimistic. I can’t help it. We’re talking about four years of meeting smart, interesting people at the med school and hospital.

If that doesn’t work out, maybe I could drive over to eat lunch at the DO school’s cafeteria Lunch time is really the only time I have free!

“dramatic irony”: a single parent, prospective med student talking her future dating life.

Not a big Fox news fan but a friend sent me this and it is actually quite true.

Fox Article on dating med students