Dating Advice for Nontrads?

A comparison to Ron Jeremy?

I could imagine some advantages to that, LOL!!!

Heyooo!!!

• pathdr2b Said:

I should add this to a list of best comments on OPM. But this is taking "gross anatomy" too far.
  • pathdr2b Said:

Oh, there are, though the resemblances stop at the belt line!

As for advice, the biggest advice I can give is to channel some of the confidence that makes you believe you can get into med school as a non-trad into how you live your life. Apply Rule 10 to asking people on dates, as well! What's the absolute worst case scenario? Someone says no, things are awkward for 30 seconds and you move on.

I can't stress enough how important confidence is to attraction, especially for the guys (though a confident woman is beyond hot if you're confident enough to deal with them).

Honestly, there's about a million little tips and ideas I can give on the subject (and not the VH1 Pick-up Artist type, though there's a place where that can work, as well, but almost all of them involve large amounts of alcohol). There's so much I honestly don't know really where to begin, but I do great answering questions and giving advice about specific situations. Feel free to post here or drop me a PM if you are uncomfortable with being public about it.

I could not help but laugh out loud reading these posts…Not, because I could not related but,just knowing there are men out there concerned about finding a suitable mate…is wonderful and reassuring that timing is everything…“nothing before the time…”

Let me share this…Im 41, just got accepted to med school this fall…Widowed at 40 and adopted my husband’s two boys (no prior children)…Im absolutely stunning, great personality, have a real zest for life…not being boastful…Im just now turning that corner to wanting a companion…This I have always been confident in…When the time is right, the right person will appear…I have great hopes and expectation of meeting someone that is compatiable with my new lifestyle…I can only imagine that after what I’ve experienced the past 2 1/2 years…Only good can come from such a trying time…

“For every sacrifice there is an equal or greater reward”…And rest assure you will find that which you seek…How can you not? You seem very geniune and sincere…I believe only good will follow such sincerity…

So, have no fear…What you are seeking is seeking you…and when the two of you meet…it’s going to be magical…I believe that with my whole heart…Yes, I am a hopeless romantic and optimist…

PS…I dont see anything wrong with online dating that’s how I meet my husband…

Keep the Faith…

• Jobusch Said:
I could not help but laugh out loud reading these posts...Not, because I could not related but,just knowing there are men out there concerned about finding a suitable mate..is wonderful and reassuring that timing is everything..."nothing before the time..."

Let me share this..Im 41, just got accepted to med school this fall..Widowed at 40 and adopted my husband's two boys (no prior children)...Im absolutely stunning, great personality, have a real zest for life..not being boastful...Im just now turning that corner to wanting a companion...This I have always been confident in...When the time is right, the right person will appear...I have great hopes and expectation of meeting someone that is compatiable with my new lifestyle..I can only imagine that after what I've experienced the past 2 1/2 years..Only good can come from such a trying time...

"For every sacrifice there is an equal or greater reward"...And rest assure you will find that which you seek....How can you not? You seem very geniune and sincere...I believe only good will follow such sincerity...

So, have no fear...What you are seeking is seeking you..and when the two of you meet...it's going to be magical...I believe that with my whole heart...Yes, I am a hopeless romantic and optimist..

PS..I dont see anything wrong with online dating that's how I meet my husband....

Keep the Faith...

I found the quote button!!!

Thanks so much for this post. I feel (along with a majority of the men on here) that this is a common problem for late bloomers like myself and the old adage rings true..."it will come when you're not looking for it"

Though it may be difficult at times...hell...difficult all of the time! It will be well worth it in the end. By the way OP, to avoid all the lovely ladies with the golden shovels tell them you are a low life drug dealer and if they still stick around then they're true blue!
  • Jobusch Said:
I'm 41, just got accepted to med school this fall...I'm absolutely stunning, great personality, have a real zest for life...I am a hopeless romantic and optimist.

Geez, Jobusch. Where have you been all my life?
  • TicDocDoh Said:
  • Jobusch Said:
I'm 41, just got accepted to med school this fall...I'm absolutely stunning, great personality, have a real zest for life...I am a hopeless romantic and optimist.

Geez, Jobusch. Where have you been all my life?

ROTFLMAO!!!!

So the latest update - just came back from a ‘break-up’ meeting with a girl I was seeing for the past six months.

Got the usual, ‘…it’s not working for me’ with the whole ‘…I never see you’ and ‘…you never have time for me’ followed by a ‘…we never do anything together’.

I’m actually getting pretty used to it. I think a couple more and I should be able to boil the whole process down to definite stages. I think I’ve got the first few nailed -

Stage 1: Fascination with dating a med student.

Stage 2: Falling in love with the possibility of ‘I’m with a doctor’.

Stage 3: He’s studying all the time!

…I’ll refine them as time goes on and I gain more ‘experience’!

So Dazed,

I gather, based on your post, that your dating adventures have been largely confined to “civilians” rather than med students?

Yes, girls not in med school. I just feel odd asking a much younger med student out!

Where are you meeting them? More importantly, how are you finding the time to meet anyone not in med school?

Trying the online approach.

• Dazed Said:

I'm actually getting pretty used to it. I think a couple more and I should be able to boil the whole process down to definite stages. I think I've got the first few nailed -

Stage 1: Fascination with dating a med student.

Stage 2: Falling in love with the possibility of 'I'm with a doctor'.

Stage 3: He's studying all the time!

...I'll refine them as time goes on and I gain more 'experience'!

My God! You've pretty much summed up my non-existent dating life so far...

This may be a silly question but as far as dating med students younger than yourself; do you find that non-trads stick to studying in circles with other non-trads (including classes a year or two ahead and behind you) OR...does everybody simply do their own thing and just cluster together with out any rhyme or reason when it comes to study groups???

I only ask because I'm banking that I'll find some pretty non-trad med student with the same song and dance as myself. I tend to feel the same as you as far as feeling a bit strange and weird asking out a med student 10 years or so my junior...no bueno

I’m going to pipe in here and say that in my experience I tend to study almost exclusively with my year in school. Those groups are

a) without regard to age - maybe one other non-trads, and a couple of “youngsters” . They appreciate having us in there, and sometimes they are fresh from biochemistry or inmmunology (a big help 1st year)

b) studying in small group - say 3’s - with other non-trads as mutual resources for one another

Not helpful for me for dating (still that 10 year + gap) but you may have a different age spread.

Kate

• Julio Cesar Said:
This may be a silly question but as far as dating med students younger than yourself; do you find that non-trads stick to studying in circles with other non-trads (including classes a year or two ahead and behind you) OR...does everybody simply do their own thing and just cluster together with out any rhyme or reason when it comes to study groups???

Julio Cesar,

I can only answer based on my own experience. Everyone in my study/social circle, with 1 exception, has been a traditional student or traditional plus student (got a masters degree between undergrad and med school). I've never actively sought out non-trads or vice versa, especially since most of the other non-trads I know are married and/or have kids and don't get out much. I just cluster with whoever I fit in with best. Even the non-trad student I study with is 13 years younger than me. It's very atypical for members of 1 class to study with anyone either from the class ahead of them or the class behind them. The one exception is the aforementioned non-trad student who also studies with his wife since she's also a med student and a year ahead of him.

• Julio Cesar Said:
I only ask because I'm banking that I'll find some pretty non-trad med student with the same song and dance as myself.

Don't count on it unless you are in your late 20's or early 30's.

• Julio Cesar Said:
I tend to feel the same as you as far as feeling a bit strange and weird asking out a med student 10 years or so my junior...no bueno

You've obviously never lived in LA.