NEW FORUM SOFTWARE

Did I just tweak a setting, or did the board software suddenly decide to center every column, instead of left-aligning it?

It is not your settings it is the boards.

Whoops!! My bad. It didn’t show in Firefox so I didn’t notice it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Geoff,

If you want to center the Ad banner at the top of the page under the “FusionBB” logo you can do so by simply placing the tags inside of a

tag.

You can find an exmple here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html…

cheers,
  • techmed Said:
Geoff,

If you want to center the Ad banner at the top of the page under the "FusionBB" logo you can do so by simply placing the tags inside of a
tag.

You can find an exmple here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html...

cheers,

Thanks for the tip! I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I saw that I didn't have a .

hehe...oops!!

HI,

I am ignorant about forums but since you have changed the program I no longer get the posts emailed to me. Do I need to do something different?

Thanks,

Carey

Hey Geoff. What happened to my avatar? It was there when I left Monday morning to go to Pennsylvania and now I’m back home and it’s gone. Where did it go?

Linda,

I haven’t seen your avatar since we switched over. If you notice the path you’ll see something in it’s path about /ubbthreads/. That directory is gone but I still have the images. I’ll see if I can update it for you.

Geoff

Hi Carey,

You have the ability to subscribe to topics that interest you when you make a reply or initiate a post. If you notice on the new reply page, in the middle there is a drop down menu that you can choose “Don’t subscribe”, Instant emails, daily emails, or weekly emails.

Geoff

Hm… the indication of new messages (vs. messages I’ve read) seems to be cached locally, rather than associated with my username.

That is, I viewed posts at work, and when I got home, they were still listed as unread.

That doesn’t seem to happen on other forums… is it possibly a setting here with FusionBB?

• pi1304 Said:
Hm... the indication of new messages (vs. messages I've read) seems to be cached locally, rather than associated with my username.

That is, I viewed posts at work, and when I got home, they were still listed as unread.

That doesn't seem to happen on other forums... is it possibly a setting here with FusionBB?

If it is, we haven't found it yet. It does base more stuff on cookies, so that may be how it works. Feel free to make yourself at home in the FusionBB Web site, though, and see if you can find a better answer. If there's a setting there, we'll by golly change it. We're not proud.

From the FAQ

http://www.fusionbb.com/docs/pmwiki.php/Main/DoesF…

Yes, FusionBB uses cookies to keep track of your session. This is essential to many board features, like new post tracking and various viewing preferences

So here’s the part where my technology background gets thin. Are cookies always local? If so, sorry, Adam, that’s how the new software works. We can submit an enhancement request because I find it darned annoying, too. I heard a rumor the developers actually react to enhancement requests, which makes them better than the $100,000 library automation software I used to administer until today.

I’VE QUIT MY JOB TO GO TO MED SCHOOL! So pardon me if I’m a little flaky.

I should be packing now.

Yes cookies are always client side (Your PC). An alternative to cookies could be to simply track your browsing history in the server Database (server side). I do not know whether or not FusionBB allows this functionality.

FusionBB uses the MySQL DB to store user logins, preference and forums posts.

cheers,

That’s the part I can’t see in documentation–if there’s another option instead of cookies. It doesn’t look like it at this point.

It’s odd because FusionBB evolved from ubbthreads, our former software, which DID store read posts information in the database.

I do not believe it supports sessions so I think you our out of luck unless you switch forum software.

• techmed Said:

I do not believe it supports sessions so I think you our out of luck unless you switch forum software.

Which would suck. I don't think Geoff had a big ol' party switching *this* time. So hang in there, folks. Some of those posts look better on the second reading!

I should clarify, there is a session but the difference is that the session info is stored in the cookie on your PC instead being concatenated to the URL. Anyway, I really do not know enough about this BB to be sure what it can and cannot do. The Admin probably needs to do some research.

• techmed Said:

I should clarify, there is a session but the difference is that the session info is stored in the cookie on your PC instead being concatenated to the URL. Anyway, I really do not know enough about this BB to be sure what it can and cannot do. The Admin probably needs to do some research.

I agree, and he's done a bit. But if anybody sees a clear happy answer before he does, I guarantee he won't be insulted.

well I was able to log on at my school at least.

Bill.