top school acceptance?

• In reply to:

As for your top-ten school only, really? Stanford is 12th, Mayo 16th. For your perspective, and my amusement, I found a ranking for top 100.

Where did you get this information? I have looked at US World News:

Top Research

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/...

Top Primary Care

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/...

The reason why you should not believe US News listings as brought out by Academic Medicine

http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Full text/...

Maybe it's all in our heads on who's the best? Maybe it should be ranked at who gets the most funding and can put to practice what they know? It all goes back to this question: What is the best medical school to attend? THE ONE WHO ACCEPTS YOU!

When others on this site have to look at their reasons, it is like holding a mirror to myself and I have to look and consider my reasons. I appreciate that. Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • wnelson Said:
I am closer to the "bottom line", "just the facts please" end of the spectrum and approached the group just looking for some facts. If the way I did so upset folks (and it seems to have), I apologize.

Bill: I can "get" this. Despite my earlier fairly emotional comments (written on a grumpy mid-week evening), I tend to be a 'just the facts' kind of person too. Unfortunately I don't think you'll find those facts out there. You *may* be able to get an individual AdCom member at an individual school to tell you how many people over 40 they've admitted in the past five years, say - or they may decline to do so. But our group is way too small to be able to provide you with any statistics, much less comfort from those statistics.

• In reply to:
At the moment, I am certainly far from passionate about becoming a doctor.

And I think this is more my concern -- because this job sucks if you are not passionate about it. If I've been keeping the players straight, the participants in this discussion have been one attending (me), two residents, and several pre-meds. I am glad I did it but I gotta tell ya, some days it's a close call. I am feeling every one of my 53 years when I go home, and often feeling rather bitter about how very hard I work, for relatively low compensation and little time off. Fortunately I have enough wonderful encounters with people to make me feel really good about what I do. With respect to my pre-med colleagues, until you emerge from the other side, you have no idea how your enthusiasm and idealism will be challenged. (in other words, guys, be a little easier on Bill, and more respectful, please?)

• In reply to:
I'm just exploring -- as quickly as I can. It is in many ways an obviously really good choice and I commend all of you for having the guts to take the plunge. I've thought about it a lot and can't think of any other profession with the same combination of intellectual challenge, benefits for other people, and predictability/stability.

Well put. This was one of the things that attracted me to medicine. It does a better job of challenging me to use more of my brain.

• In reply to:
But in my circumstances, a career change at this point is ludicrous in so many ways....[portion omitted] A pattern is emerging: professional student, masochist, never satisfied, basketcase. While I don't believe that about myself yet, it's becoming more and more plausible! ... [portion omitted] I admit, I asked about top ranked schools partly to see if I could easily visualize a path to med school in which the "What in the hell are you thinking?" factor is minimized.

OK I gotcha (I think). If you're leaving people with an impression that you're bouncing around from one thing to another, you think it'll make more sense to say, "Who would turn down the chance to go to UCSF?" ... rather than worry that people are thinking, "He left that great job to go to the University of Southern Alabama? Yikes! He must be desperate!"

If that is a teensy bit of your mindset, I'd suggest, though, that people seem to be generally very admiring of anyone who career-changes into medicine in middle age. I think that our contemporaries - other middle-aged people - find the idea of going back to school to be horrifying and intimidating. (and sorry to lump you into the "middle-aged" group when you are only 40!) The idea of school AND things like staying up all night AND making possible life-and-death decisions is beyond horrifying to them. So if you decide that yes, you really do want to pursue medicine as a career, I think you'll be able to explain it regardless of school.

In any case, you were doing some thinking aloud - a way of processing ideas that I am sympathetic to, and a bit of a risk in a public forum, unfortunately.

Since your original question really can't be answered well here - you will be the one to figure out what other questions will help you in your search for what you think you should do next. I wish you all the best.

Mary
  • Mary Renard Said:
Since your original question really can't be answered well here - you will be the one to figure out what other questions will help you in your search for what you think you should do next. I wish you all the best.

I don't necesarily agree that the OP's original questions can't be answered here. I've said it 100 times, the best advice I've received about this process came from people who had never attended medical school.

His question was will his age 41 be prohibitive at top schools and my opionion was that all things being equal, the answer is an unequivocal yes based on my experiences as an applicant in their 40's. That being the case doesn't mean it's hopeless simply that like a womans fertility, things get exponentially more difficult every year past 40. So you either take the "fertility" drugs = a super MCAT prep course, and start having TONS of sex = studying TONS for the MCAT, LOL.

But limited expereiences or not, when an an adcom or other med school rep tells you that no one in their 40s has matriculated, I tend to take that as fact and I've heard that from Harvard, Hopkins, Duke, and Baylor. Again, simply my experiences that I'm relaying to others.

Now having said that, it's a statistical fact that if I had a 30+ MCAT, that given my URM status, my chances would be better. Maybe not siginificantly better but better just the same. However, a 30+ MCAT is better for ALL applicants not just those over 40 who also happen to be URM.

So is it possible to get admitted to a top school in your 40's? Sure with a great MCAT score (30+) and other things in the app being together, ANYTHING is possible. Is it likely? Not in my opinion, but it used to be unlikely that a woman could have a baby in their 40's too. Bottom line, give it your best and go for it! And don't underestimate the power of networking long BEFORE you submit your application!

There’s a second-year student at Columbia in her mid-40s. She already had a PhD in another field (non-science). And she is not the first, there have been others.

I think if you are over 40 it actually helps to have an advanced degree at “top” schools. But you better have a really, really good reason to tell them why you want to go to medical school, and it can’t be that you want to impress people with all the diplomas on your wall.

• pathdr2b Said:
I've said it 100 times, the best advice I've received about this process came from people who had never attended medical school.

His question was will his age 41 be prohibitive at top schools and my opionion was that all things being equal, the answer is an unequivocal yes based on my experiences as an applicant in their 40's. That being the case doesn't mean it's hopeless...

sorry, I have to disagree here...been holding my tongue, but this pretty far off base. Folks who have 'NOT been there & done that' have NO...ZERO...basis for prognosticating about how the shoe fits for med school, residency, fellowship or anything to do with being an attending. They may do a hell of a lot of "mental masturbation" on this topic, but they have absolutely NO BASIS to assess what it is like, the challenges faced or the lifestyle at any point in time along this pathway. This is just like that very annoying relatively who has NEVER had any children delivering loud & unwelcome advice on how to raise or discipline your children. Furthermore, if you use their advice to frame your own pursuit of this career path, you may not be choosing the best resources.

In respect to the original question, yes being older represents additional challenges, but so does an infinite number of other factors. I hate to say this non-trads, this process is not about you nor is it expressly against you. It is actually a fairly well defined process of trying to differentiate b/t a relatively large, extremely competitive group of candidates where the reality is, the difference b/t the top and bottom of the "competitive pile" is not truly all that signnificant nor substantial. The very nature of a large (well in excess of the number of available seats), tightly clustered group of applicants makes it seem very capricious and sometimes cruel. That means the Adcoms must resort to fairly picuyne parameters to accept/decline applicants...

This process is not random nor is it constructed to be 'against' non-trads. the simple facts are that non-trads tend to have more history which prompts more scrutiny. We are simply not in the mainstream.

Simple facts: You MUST present a competitive application and that is comprised of GPAs, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation and, if possible, a strong panel of volunteerism and some shadowing to substantiate your claim that you know what you are getting into and that you have a passion for it. If you do not or cannot present an application with those elements, then you are not competitive as an applicant and no amount of extra-curriciulars will make up for inadequacies.

You do not get brownie points nor are there point deductions for being older.

I have to wonder about the anecdotal data about applicants in their 40s. I mean, to look at it by sheer numbers would be a disservice, I think. It may seem like very small numbers at school X that had only a handful of older students, but what percentage of students in that age group apply? And I wonder if older students tend not to apply to the top schools, perhaps because of a perceived (real or not) notion that they will have almost no chance of getting in.

The quality of applicants may go down as age goes up as well. I’m not sure if there’s any significant deviation in something like MCAT scores as a function of age, but there are other things too. I know I have some things to make up for, some black marks if you will, and if it comes down to it, no matter how good I do from here on out, they will always be there. Someone who has the same recent performance without the black marks will (and should) win in that competition.

Sorry for being a bit off topic for the thread. To the OP, I don’t really have any sort of hard numbers or experience or even stories from others, but I hope you make a wise choice in what you pursue. Best of luck!

Mike

• OldManDave Said:
sorry, I have to disagree here...been holding my tongue, but this pretty far off base. Folks who have 'NOT been there & done that' have NO...ZERO...basis for prognosticating about how the shoe fits for med school, residency, fellowship or anything to do with being an attending. They may do a hell of a lot of "mental masturbation" on this topic, but they have absolutely NO BASIS to assess what it is like, the challenges faced or the lifestyle at any point in time along this pathway. This is just like that very annoying relatively who has NEVER had any children delivering loud & unwelcome advice on how to raise or discipline your children. Furthermore, if you use their advice to frame your own pursuit of this career path, you may not be choosing the best resources.

I'm going to take this as a personal attack because this is the second time you've taken something I've written COMPLETLY out of context. And my repsonse is going to be worded accordingly.

First, I haven't said a thing about being an Attending, Fellow, Resident, or any other position in my post. What I did say was clear to people who choose NOT to read into what I'm saying as you did.

Second, the only thing annoying in this thread is people commenting about things they know NOTHING about. I turned down an acceptance to an MD/PhD program as a nontrad having previously flunked out of college, so I feel more than qualified to discuss this process. As I understand it, you were never accepted to an MD program.

Third, there are very, very, VERY few people on this site seeking admission to med school in their 40's so those folks seem better qualified to talk about their expereinces than folks with anectodotes about someones grandmother's, first cousins, wife's, stepbrother's, second child that went to school with a 59 year old 3rd year Harvrad medical student. I mean really, how valuable is that? And for my statsitically astute friends, outliers are cool, but are usually tossed out before any analysis is done.

Forth, what's wrong with masturbation anyway, LOL??

Now if there's anything else you'd like to discuss with me, please send me a PM so we can spare the readers of this blog your VERY obvious and long term I might add, problems with my comments on this site.

• MikeC Said:
The quality of applicants may go down as age goes up as well. I'm not sure if there's any significant deviation in something like MCAT scores as a function of age, but there are other things too..... Someone who has the same recent performance without the black marks will (and should) win in that competition.

Stats indicate that nontrad students have lower MCAT's and GPA's as well for reasons which have been discussed a LOT on this site and which in my opinion has nothing to do with who's "smarter". It seems to have more to do with recency of preq courses, enrollment in MCAT prep courses, performance in those preeqs courses. However, to equate previous academic misteps, with generally not being deserving of a seat in a medical school class is a bit of a stretch IMHO and if that were the case, this site wouldn't have so many success stories.
  • pathdr2b Said:

Stats indicate that nontrad students have lower MCAT's and GPA's as well for reasons which have been discussed a LOT on this site and which in my opinion has nothing to do with who's "smarter".

Do you have a link to these stats?
  • DoctorGeo2008 Said:

I believe it was AMCAS that used to not only provide this type of data, but I believe it was also them that would give you age range of acccepted applicants to a particular medical school. I read so many sources of info relating to med school admissions that I'm likely getting my sources confused. But I'm crystal clear on what I've both read and heard over the years because it always involved me.

You know I think it's kinda funny. If I said URMS had lower MCAT/GPA's I seriously doubt anyone would ask me for a link. Now why is that?

• pathdr2b Said:
  • DoctorGeo2008 Said:

I believe it was AMCAS that used to not only provide this type of data, but I believe it was also them that would give you age range of acccepted applicants to a particular medical school. I read so many sources of info relating to med school admissions that I'm likely getting my sources confused. But I'm crystal clear on what I've both read and heard over the years because it always involved me.

You know I think it's kinda funny. If I said URMS had lower MCAT/GPA's I seriously doubt anyone would ask me for a link. Now why is that?

Well, personally, I'd like to see those stats too.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but this is something that can't be taken lightly and just thrown out into the public. It doesn't happen too often on OPM but there are other forums where so much BS is posted that nobody will believe them without a link or some sort of proof.

Once again, I am not saying I don't believe you, I just need to see the stats myself in order to form my own opinion.

And why do you think nobody would ask you for those stats?

Interesting.

This is only one test from one year (April 2000) from AMCAS regarding age and MCAT, and it does not include data on GPA. This data seems to present a declining mean MCAT score as student age increases.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/admissi onsadviso…

I’ve already given my two cents on this thread, so no more commentary from me. Just thought this link would help the discussion.

Ditchdoc,

Thank you very much!!! This information is beneficial for everyone here. In fact, if you take the last part of your link off you will find a list of many years.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/admissi onsadviso…

Now, this discussion has actually gotten off track from what the original poster’s question was. I’m not even sure if the question CAN be answered. Anyway, if anyone wants to continue the discussion on MCAT average scores as shown in the above link, it’s probably best to create a new topic.

Thanks in advance.

• DoctorGeo2008 Said:
Once again, I am not saying I don't believe you, I just need to see the stats myself in order to form my own opinion.

It's OK that you didn't believe me because apparently you were in good company with that.

I'll just limit my future posts to things for which I have stats on, which means I won't be posting much in the future, LOL!!!
  • pathdr2b Said:

It's OK that you didn't believe me because apparently you were in good company with that.

I believed you, man! More importantly, I believe IN you... because you're good enough, smart enough, and dawg-gonnit people like you!
  • ditchdoc Said:

I believed you, man! More importantly, I believe IN you... because you're good enough, smart enough, and dawg-gonnit people like you!

You know I think one month is a record for joining a site and becoming a troll, lol!!!
  • pathdr2b Said:

You know I think one month is a record for joining a site and becoming a troll, lol!!!

I suppose I'll take that as a compliment. Mom and Dad will be so proud.
  • pathdr2b Said:

So is it possible to get admitted to a top school in your 40's? Sure with a great MCAT score (30+) and other things in the app being together, ANYTHING is possible. Is it likely? Not in my opinion, but it used to be unlikely that a woman could have a baby in their 40's too. Bottom line, give it your best and go for it! And don't underestimate the power of networking long BEFORE you submit your application!

I had to comment on this. I've been working in a NICU since last year, and I have to say that the percentage of older moms (we even had a 48 y/o who had twins - and a younger husband, God Bless her!) coming through the L&D department is pretty significant. I don't have a specific figure, but I would venture that of the 3000+ deliveries that we have about 20% are over 35.
  • MikeC Said:

The quality of applicants may go down as age goes up as well.

Mike

I don't know, but somehow this really irks me. I would really think the opposite. Now, I know that not all nontrads who are applying for med school are going to be great prospects for med school...but there are so many more "traditional students applying" that aren't either. I really think that this is subjective about quality.