Application Season 2013-2014

• futuredoctorben Said:
redo-it-all,

Do you have some time to look over a personal statement?

Thanks,

Sorry, just seeing your note now. I don't have much time, but you can always shoot your PS. PM me your email adress or send me the URL of the document (if shared via dropbox and alike).

Hi everyone! I just found this site and am excited to see everyone’s progress. I submitted my app late… July 29th to be exact… and with the delay I probably won’t know anything for quite a while… For those of you with secondaries, did you get them before being verified? Just curious, since I’m not sure where I should be looking.

Thanks and good luck to all!!

Welcome, nextMD! Congrats on getting this far!It’s so thrilling isn’t it? I was able to complete my application very early so I was fortunate to be verified by AMCAS before we could even submit to med schools. However, I have heard various things on receiving secondaries w/o verification. I think it depends on the school, but I am pretty sure at least some of them automatically send out secondaries and so I would imagine some of them send out secondaries before verification. Not all schools screen out applicants with the primary. Some schools send secondaries to everyone so it would make sense that you could see a secondary from schools like this before AMCAS verification. Just my two cents! BEST OF LUCK!!

If you go on SDN you can get the essays for most of the secondaries. You can then pre-write the essays. This will help you prepare to submit the applications as soon as you are clear. I have been slogging through mine a little slower than I had hoped. I still have a few to go. Good luck to you!

I have an interview invite!!! To my #1 choice school. This is incredible. I cannot believe I’m here. I hope to be posting my acceptance soon! Fingers crossed. Wow. Good luck to everyone else on this amazing journey!!!

Gratz. I remember the feeling. Enjoy. Good luck.

Shanport, that is incredible!!!

I soooo hope and pray you get in. Impress the living days lights out of them. Sending good thoughts and vibes your way!!

Thanks, everyone! I’m nervous but mostly excited. I’ve had my interview clothes and accessories ready for awhile now so I just have to prepare mentally for the interview. School starts after Labor Day and then my interview is the end of that week. Crazy! Time is flying by and it hasn’t entirely hit me yet that this whole med school thing might actually pan out! lol. Best of luck to all of us! Cheers!

Congratulations! Best of luck in your interview!

Deb

I pushed “submit” on Aug 2, which is about 3 weeks after I really WANTED to. Obviously not verified yet, but I got auto-secondaries from Tufts, NYMC, and Univ Cinci.

Gratz. Enjoy. Good luck.

Sending good thoughts and vibes your way!!

Very quite forum here. No updates from anyone??? I’m in the quite phase of the application process while waiting for my MCAT scores.

• patkay52 Said:
Very quite forum here. No updates from anyone??? I'm in the quite phase of the application process while waiting for my MCAT scores.

Yes, it has been a been quiet in this thread. I think we're all busy and/or anxious! I know I've been busy since school started back up last week and I've a bit anxious, too. But, I have news. I applied Early Decision to my #1 top choice school, The Medical College of Wisconsin (I had much guidance on this including meeting with the admissions director to get a feel of whether or not this was a good idea for me) and I got an interview. I interviewed last week Friday (Sept 6). MCW is notorious for quick decisions and I found out today that I am accepted!!!!! I'm beyond thrilled. I know that many of you here already know this feeling and I know many more will know this feeling soon or in the future. It is as incredible as you may imagine. Looking back at when I found OPM late in 2009 and wasn't quite sure I could do it to where I am now, finishing up my BS in Bio, surviving the MCAT, applying EDP (crazy in and of itself) to MCW, and now getting accepted is pretty wild. I hope this is a little inspiration to some of you just lurking around here or just starting your journey. It can be done! You are not crazy! Or maybe you are crazy, but in the BEST possible way. Go get 'em! They are waiting for you if you are willing and able to put in the work, do well, and show your compassion!

Congratulations!

You must be having an awesome Friday. Hopefully one day I will also be able to experience that same great feeling of accomplishment!

Shannon -

Huge congrats!!! Enjoy your success!!!

Kate

Congrats!!! That is fantastic news!

Wonderful!! I love what you said about “Crazy”. At our orientation for volunteers at the hospital, we each had to “say a little about ourselves” - When I said my interest was wanting to apply to med school…the volunteer coordinator cheerfully said to the class, “And see? Crazy comes in all shapes and sizes…” I quickly added, “And ages!!” and everyone chuckled…

Congrats Shannon!

I sort of did the EDP route as well so I definitely appreciate the appeal and the immense load off your shoulders at this time.

Hope the rest of our cohort is as lucky with their cycles!

Congratulations! So glad that your retake on the MCAT turned out so well for you!! Enjoy the rest of the year as you get ready for school next fall!

As for me, I finally got my MCAT retake done and my application in but it is still being verified. I am among the masses who will have the long wait, but I needed to time to balance studying and my full-time job. I’ve just been responding to the IRL advice I’ve been getting from physicians and residents and my top choice school on when to apply, etc. I hope it works! My new MCAT’s should appear on my application and will hopefully make me more competitive. I’m only applying DO (just fits my personality better) so early decision isn’t really an option.

Best of luck to those still in the waiting process!

Deb

Shannon, I am so so so proud of you! I knew it would happen…I’m just thrilled that you don’t have to wait any longer. I remember how good it felt to have my decision in October last year–the whole rest of the year is a joy ride!

You deserve this. You planned carefully. You worked hard. You stayed the course, even when it was hard, so now? Just taste the victory, my friend! In no time flat, you’ll be working your way through cranial nerves and the brachial plexus… speaking of which… off I go. LOL

Proud of you, friend!!!